Chapter Forty Nine

This is a picture of an Epic canyon we saw in Spain

This is a picture of an Epic canyon we saw in Spain. I might have another Canyon picture in my next part too, I have loads of photos of it!

The week passes quickly. All of us learn so much about ruling and looking after our people that I am beginning to feel more confident about ruling my country. Serenity finally told me about her and Daniel the evening of my minor breakfast freak out. Apparently, Toryn had spoken to her about our conversation and the fact that I saw them so she came clean to me. Toryn and I then took it upon ourselves to have words with Daniel. He still looks a little scared of us even now as we ride back to the academy. Serenity finds it funny. We are only going back to the Academy for one night. Tomorrow, we are heading to Zola, our lands, to go and see our finished palace. We are staying with Aspen for a few days whilst we sort out staff and make sure everything is complete. I sigh. So much going is going on.

We get back fairly quickly but don't bother unpacking. I head up to see Lady Indira as soon as I get back, an idea having come to me.

"I would like to Luca to come with us back to Zola," I say to her. A lump forms in my throat as I think of Luca. His mother and little sister were killed in the explosion. He has been staying at the academy with his aunt who can't take him home.

"Why is that?" she asks.

"I want to offer him a home, at our palace," I tell her. She is quiet for a few seconds before she nods her head.

"I think that is a good idea. Though I don't think he should move in quite yet, it is very far away from all his friends here."

"I know, but I just want to show him around and see if he would like to."

"I think it will help him," she says. "Would you like to ask him now?" she asks. I nod my head.

We head to his room where he is sat alone on his bed. Quiet. As I walk in, however, he jumps up and wraps his arms around me.

"Isla!" he shouts. I crouch and give him a hug.

"Hello Luca," I smile. "I have a question for you," I say. He looks up at me and I can still see the sadness in his eyes.

"Would you like to come back to Zola with me?" I ask. His eyes widen at the thought of going home, then sadden again as he realises his family aren't going to be there. Tears begin to trickle down his cheeks and I feel my eyes tickle as tears begin to form.

"Why?" he asks, voice now quiet and shy.

"We are going to see the new Dragoheir palace. I was wondering if, one day, you would like to live there?" I ask him. His eyes widen.

"Live in the Dragoheir palace!" he shrieks and a smile widens on his face. I chuckle.

"My mummy and sister would have loved that," he sighs again. I sit down next to him as he leans into my side. I take a deep breath.

"They would have, wouldn't they," I smile.

"Lola would have run around like crazy and mother would have chased her," he chuckles. He touches the ring on my finger that Lola made me and sighs.

"I would love to come and visit," he says. "Thank you," he tells me. "For the invitation." We go quiet again.

"We are leaving tomorrow morning," I say to him. He nods his head.

"I'll see you then," his voice is distant now. It is hard to believe he is only eleven years old. He sounds and acts so much older now. The death of his family has taken away his childhood. I don't stop the tears falling down my face as I head back to my room.

Too fast we are leaving the academy again. This time, Darcy has decided to join us, wanting to go and see her mother for a few days. Eric is staying behind. Luca rids on a horse next to me. He hasn't spoken a word yet. It takes a while to journey but eventually we get to Aspen's home.

"Aunty Aspen!" I shout as I see her. Her face lights up upon seeing as and she wraps her arms around us all with a laugh, kissing us on the heads.

"Oh little Dragoheirs," she chuckles. "Come, come. I can't wait for you to see your new palace. It really is beautiful. But first, you should freshen up and have a bite to eat whilst I talk with my daughter."

"Okay, where can Luca stay?" I ask. She leads us to a room for him that isn't too far from mine and I stay with him for a while.

"How are you feeling?" I ask him.

"A little overwhelmed," he sighs. "But a little more at peace now that I am at my homelands. I am looking forward to seeing the palace," he smiles. "I am sure it is going to be spectacular."

Spectacular is not a good enough word to describe the new Dragoheir palace. We decided we wanted the palace to be a bit closer to the cities than the old palace which was so far away from all the people. The city of Catheline is one of the most spectacular cities in Zola. Their buildings are tall stone, locking and fitting together in an architectural marvel. It was already beautiful, sitting wedged around the mountains. Our palace fits in perfectly with it. Built into the tallest mountain in the area, our palace is built of the same grey stone as the city. Great walls and spires blend perfectly with the natural shape of the mountains as palace seems to be growing around it in intricate beauty. The palace is made up of so many different shaped sections all locking together. There are lots of intricately decorated stone statues of dragons climbing up the rocks, almost as if they are guarding the palace. It is an incredible structure. Though beautiful, it has a hint of danger to it also.

We had asked the people of the city if they had minded our palace being built in the mountains above them and they seemed only happy. Now, as the palace has been finished and we are going to open it, they are gathered on the streets celebrating. That is why we wear fine dresses and our crowns. Even Luca is dressed up, wearing the colours of the Dragoheir house. Walking through the streets of crowds cheering and dancing is an amazing feeling. Though it isn't until we begin to go up the bridge to get to the grand palace entrance, a lump forms in my throat. This is our new home. Our palace and this one will not fall. The Dragoheirs will not fall again.