Chapter Twenty-Four

This is a photo from Rannoch Moor in Scotland

This is a photo from Rannoch Moor in Scotland. This photo isn't the landscape described in this following chapter, but it does inspire me for some of the scenery in this story. It is a picture taken by me whilst doing the West Highland Way.

I wake early in the morning and make my way back to my room before anyone notices. I can tell a lot of the people in the palace are still sleeping, but some of the staff are awake. I navigate my way through the corridors using my senses to hear where the staff are so I can avoid them. Once back in my room, I get dressed. I had been told to wear clothing I could train in. Today, we are going to be properly introduced to the elite warriors. 

"Isla!" Toryn shouts.

"What?" I shout back, running down the spiral stairs toward his room.

"We've got to go," he tells me as he leaves his room fully armed and ready to train. I too have all my weapons. He frowns, looking at me.

"What?" I ask.

"I know something happened whilst you were out the other night," he tells me.

"What makes you say that?" I ask with narrowed eyes. He steps closer to me.

"Because I can sense it Isla, I know you are keeping something from me."

"Well if  I am keeping something, then it must be for a good reason," I snarl at him.

"Don't you trust me, Isla?" he seethes, his pupils changing to narrow slits.

"Of course I trust you," I snap, angered at the accusation.

"Then why are you lying to me?" He growls.

"I have my reasons." This is something I need to figure out my self. I need to keep the attack a secret and the weird black goo. If I were to tell anyone, there would be panic. I need to discover what is going on before I make a fuss. For all I know, it could be nothing.

"We don't keep secrets from each other, Isla." I snarl at him questioning my decisions.

"Don't like that?" he asks. "Do you think that because you are going to be a queen, that you are above me, that you are better than me? You're acting like Darcy. Like you're entitled to everything and that we all have to answer to your commands. You're such a..." He is about to continue but I slam my fist into his face as anger surges through me. He stumbles back into the wall, blood dripping from his nose.

"How dare you," I snarl. "I am not Darcy, how could you even think that? I keep one thing from you and you accuse me of that? I'm allowed to keep secrets!" I shout.

"Not when they endanger your life!" Toryn yells back, breathing heavily as the anger rages through him. I shake my head.

"Who said anything about my life being endangered?" I snap at him. "I am perfectly capable of both looking after myself and judging what is a risk and not." With a sigh, I turn away from him and begin to head to breakfast.