068

Alternate Ending
Maika

A slow beeping sound becomes louder and I slowly open my eyes. Machines are hooked up to me and a mask is put over my mouth and nose. A nurse stands next to my bedside and she scribbles something down on a clipboard.

"Am... I alive...?" I inquire sleepily.

"You've been asleep for a couple days after the surgery was done and you'll have to stay in bed for a week so your muscles can recover but we have cured the disease," The nurse looks up from her clipboard and places her pen down. "but to answer your question, yes you are alive."

The nurse exits the room and my mom enters in minutes later. She runs to my side and holds my hand, sobbing uncontrollably. I'm taken aback by her actions because when she told me that my father died, she didn't cry this much, probably because when she did tell me it was months later.

Once she gets a hold of herself, she explains how they had to revive me several times during the procedure. Apparently, I almost didn't survive but I overcame all the odds and lived.

Watari

The time reads 4:15 p.m. as I close my locker. For the past couple of days, I've been leaving soccer practice earlier than everyone else. My coach was skeptical at first but understood once I told him that someone special to me is in the hospital in a coma. 

As I walk off of school grounds, my phone buzzes in my pocket.

Maika's Mom

She's awake.
Sent - 4:18 p.m.

My bag drops to the cement in front of the school's gates and I start sprinting. All I can hear are the soles of my shoes hitting the pavement, I'm not even breathing.

Once I arrive at the hospital, I slide the door open and see Maika lying in her bed with her eyes half opened. Her mom stands up and greets me.

"I'll leave you two," She says and makes her way past me to exit.

I collapse at Maika's bedside and bury my face into the covers. Tears stream down my face and I cry.

Why am I crying? I'm happy but why am I acting like this?

Maika's hand holds mine and her slow breathing and my cries fill the room.

"I'm... I'm so happy you're alive..." I stammer. "I can still see you... I can still see you smile," I lift my head up to see her and her lips curl into a smile.

"I'm happy that we have more time together,"

♪ ♪ ♪

I'm back!! Yes, I decided to make a different ending for those who were sad about the previous one!

When I figured out how I wanted to end this book, it was originally going to be Maika living, but I decided to see how a different ending would work.

There will be about 1-2 more chapters left~

Rachel ♡