066

Watari

6:47 is the earliest I've ever waken up on the weekend and it's the most important reason as to why I have to. Today is Maika's operation at it begins at 7:15. I get dressed as quickly as I can and run out the door. As I exit my house, I can hear the bus driving away from the stop in front of my door. I sigh and ride my bike to the hospital, peddling as fast as I can.

When I arrive, I lock my bike in the rack and sprint inside to the elevator. Waiting for the elevator to open, I tap my foot anxiously until it rings. I exhale frustrated and run towards the stairs, skipping two at a time. Once I reach the third floor, I make my way to Maika's room and open the door.

Emptiness greets me.

"Watari?"

I spin around and see Maika's mom standing in front of me. Whenever I see her, she's usually in her work clothes, but now she's in leggings and a pullover. I guess she spent the night here.

"If you're looking for Maika, the doctors took her early to prepare her for surgery," Her mom explains.

Dammit...

"The doctors want us to stay in the visitor's lounge, let's go," I follow Maika's mom to the waiting room and we sit in silence. The clock ticks every second, echoing in my mind, causing me to sweat.

Maika... Please don't leave.

"Watari," I hear her mom say.

"Yes?" I snap out of my mind and look to her.

"You look sleep deprived, take a nap, the operation will take a while according to the doctors."

• • •

Cheers surround me but all I see is darkness. I open my eyes to see crowds of people, fans, reporters, TV crews surrounding me as I stand above them. Medals hang from my neck and a golden trophy is in my grasp.

"Congratulations to FC Tokyo team for winning first place in the international soccer tournament!" The announcer says into the mic.

The spectator's cheer and cameras flash in my face. "Let's have a word with their captain, Ryota Watari!" Mics are shoved into my face as reporters ask questions all at once.

Although this is my goal to become a professional soccer player and win an international competition, I don't feel anything. If anything, I feel empty.

The shouts and the flashing camera's fade away and the medals and trophies disintegrate into the air. A red velvet curtain hangs in front of me and I push the cloth to the side to walk through. I stand in a balcony of an empty auditorium. A crimson rose with a note attached lies on the seat with the text, 'Reserved for Ryota Watari.' Although there's no one in the theatre, an abrupt applause from no one fills the room.

A small girl walks out onto the stage and prepares for the music. Once the sound comes on, she begins dancing. Although she's young, she has great form and you can see how much she's practiced through her precise movements.

The next act comes on when the girl is done. I can now identify who this is. This next girl is Maika, about when she was ten years old. I remember the dance that she performs. She choreographed her own version of Phantom of the Opera. It was the first recital of hers that I went to, and everyone thought that she was a senior, even though she was one of the youngest.

The last act comes on and again, it's Maika but as her present age. She wears a white ballet costume made of tule. White flowers border the top of the dress and trail down to the skirt. An orchestra begins to play a song from Swan Lake as Maika starts to dance.

The movements are soft, yet powerful. The emotion and life she brings to a dance always mesmerizes me, but then she falls to the hardwood floor.

"Maika!!" I shout and stand up.

"Did you enjoy the performance?" A voice behind me asks. I turn to see Maika standing behind me in the same costume she danced in. I glance back to see Maika's body lying on the floor still. "I wish this wasn't the last..."

"Last?" I repeat. 

A heartbeat echoes in my ears and my head begins to pound. Pressing my palm against my temples, Maika's eyebrows furrow and her eyes soften. She hugs me gently and whispers in my ear, "You'll learn to be okay without me..."

♪ ♪ ♪

Happy Halloween! It's sad to say, but this story will soon come to an end. I hope you enjoyed this chapter though!

Rachel♡