Chapter Twenty-Four

Maika
The Next Week

Tsubaki

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MAIKA!! Sorry that we won't be able to celebrate until later after stupid summer school, but once I get out you better be ready!
See ya later!!
Sent - 7:47 a.m.

Kaori

Happy birthday! I hope today is filled with joy and plenty of gifts!! I remember when we were younger when we dressed up and hosted pretend tea parties for our birthdays LOLLL
If only we could do that now I would be down, but I'll see you in the afternoon!
Love you❤❤
Sent - 9:31 a.m.

Kousei

Happy birthday! It's been great knowing you all these years an eiJEMEjdkfmJRW
Sorry, Kaori took my phone and accidentally sent the text before I could finish. I have to go practice or else she'll throw my phone at a milk bottle but I'll see you later
Sent - 10:22 a.m.

I smile as I read through the texts blowing up my phone. Although, it's weird that I haven't heard from Watari or Kioshi. They must be busy--or forgot. I reply by saying thank you to everyone and then change into a white frilly dress with a lace trim bordering the neckline and patterned with dainty pink roses. I throw a light pink shrug over my shoulders when my phone starts to buzz again.

Kioshi

Are you free to meet at the park today?
Sent - 10:50 a.m.

Yeah, I'll meet you there at noon
Sent - 10:51 a.m.

I grab my purse and head downstairs. When I turn the corner, my mom tackles me with a hug and sings, "Happy birthday, sweetheart!!"

"Oh! Mom? You're still here?" I ask surprised.

"Of course I am! The first summer where you're home for your birthday, I wouldn't miss it for the world. Come to the kitchen, I made you your favorite, berry Belgian waffles!"

"Thanks, mom! I love you," I hug her and she rubs my back.

"And I love you too! Now come on! I know you have plans today so eat and go have fun!"

"Are you sure? I feel kinda bad leaving you here,"

My mom shakes her head to make me feel better. "It's okay! I still have work but I'm remote today. Just make sure you come back for dinner, okay? I made reservations!"

Both of us take a seat at the table and begin to eat. My mom's homemade cooking warms me up inside as we both talk away. I haven't had a meal like this with my mom in forever, I've missed this feeling. I try to wash the dishes but she refuses to let me do so and practically pushes me out the door so I can go to my plans. Today instead of taking the bus, I decide to walk. My muscles haven't been feeling as weak anymore so maybe I can try pushing it just a little bit. It takes me a bit longer than normal but I take in the fresh summer breeze and the warmth of the sun as I tread down the sidewalk. I finally arrive at the park and circle the fountain. The mist of the water refreshes me and I close my eyes.

"Hey," I open my eyes and turn around to see Kioshi. His burgundy hair is neatly combed and he wears a navy blue short-sleeved button-up white straight-cut pants. His hands are hidden behind his back, concealing something. "Have you been waiting long?"

"No, I just got here," I answer.

"That's good then," He brings his hands in front of him, revealing a neatly wrapped gift box. "Happy birthday, Maika," Kioshi hands me the gift and I smile.