Chapter Twenty-Two

Maika

Kioshi's hand falls from my cheek and he backs away from me. "I'll leave now..." Kioshi announces.

"Yeah, that would be best..." I respond and look up at him again. "I'll see you later," He nods and walks out of my room, closing it behind him. I hear him go down the stairs, say goodbye to my mom as well, and head out the front door.

I turn back to the window and open it since I can tell Watari has something to say, his window is already open.

"What were you doing with him?" Watari asks with darkness in his eyes. A chill runs down my spine, he's not one to get serious or mad often, the other day when that guy at the cafe insulted me was one of the first times I ever saw those emotions from him.

"We were just hanging out, you've been at school so I'm just making the most of my break," I reply.

"And Kioshi is who you're gonna go to now?"

Stunned by his words, I ask, "What do you mean?"

"What's going on between you two?" He answers my question with another question.

"We're just friends like we've always been," I respond but I can tell he doesn't believe me.

He scoffs and raises an eyebrow. "Really? Because it didn't seem like that just now with his hands all over you,"

Hearing those words breaks my last thread and my jaw drops. "What's the issue with me being with Kioshi?"

"The issue is that he's a guy in your room--"

"You've been in my room and I've never had a problem with it, no one's ever batted an eye whenever you come over and hang out here," I state.

"Yeah, but that's different--"

I cut him off again. "Why is it different? We're just friends," I point to the both of us. "And me and Kioshi? Are also just friends. Do you see him as a threat or something to our relationship? Do you think I'm so easily swayed by a guy that it would tear us apart?" Watari is taken aback, he doesn't know what to say by the shocked expression plastered on his face. "You're one to talk if that's what you think. You've dated so many girls and I've never butted into your love life when it comes to our friendship. But when I'm with another guy that isn't you or Kousei, you snap! Sure, I appreciated it when it came to that guy in the cafe, and I loved that you defended me, but the time with Aiza and now with Kioshi, you're taking it too far,"

"I-I just want to make sure you're okay," He finally manages to say.

"You know Kioshi though, you can trust him and you can trust me," I breathe out shakily. "I've never had a boyfriend. I've never been on a date, I've never held a guy's hand before, and I've never even had my first kiss. You've done all of those things before, accepting so many girls' proposals and dating almost every girl in our grade. I've rejected guys before but the one time I let someone closer, you get so protective. I know you're concerned and I know you care for me, but we're just friends, you don't need to hover over my shoulder all the time. Just... Stay out of my business, alright?" I slam my window shut and close my curtains.

My hands shake and my eyes well with tears once realization hits. What have I done? I just ruined everything.

• • •

"So, why'd you call us all of the sudden?" Kaori asks.

"And why are you... Damp?" Tsubaki follows up with another question.