057

Maika
The Day of Kaori's Funeral

The golden brace she gave me so long ago is now on my wrist, after many years without wearing it. The snow falls gently onto her tombstone and I sniffle underneath the umbrella, trying to hold back my tears. Watari holds the umbrella over both of us and hugs me tightly as I cry into his shoulder.

Why couldn't she survive?

Fate is cruel to me, to all of us..

I walk out from under the umbrella and take off the gold accessory, placing it on her gravestone, along with flowers. A familiar voice whispers to me, "Keep it, in times like this, you need it most Maika."

It was Kaori's voice.

I take the bracelet back and slip it on my wrist, walking back to Watari. I look at Watari, seeing him struggling to hold back his tears. I breathe in sharply and look through the clear umbrella Watari and I stand under.

How much longer do I have to wait till winter passes by?

I miss you Kaori...

If you just wait a bit longer, I'll see you soon..

• • •

When I reach home, I sit on my bed in the darkness. I lay down, staring up at the ceiling and thinking about how Kaori is looking down on us.

And I hate that she's gone.

I peak through my curtain and see Watari sitting on his bed, his face tilted down to the ground. His hands cover his face and I close the curtain.

My phone suddenly buzzes and I check the message.

Kioshi

Are you feeling a little better Maika? I'm here if you need to talk.
Sent - 4:37 p.m.

I respond saying that I'm getting better, but I'm not in reality. Before turning off my phone, I notice an unread notification.

One unheard voicemail

I tap the notification and type in my password to open up my inbox.

"You have one unheard voicemail. The first unheard voicemail is from, Miyazono Kaori."

"Hey Maika, I just left my hospital room and I asked the nurses if I could make a phone call before my operation. Honestly, I know that I won't survive. The truth is sad, but I have to face it. I know that you'll be lost again, losing your father, then me. I want to tell you to stay strong Maika.  Live a life that I couldn't, dance until you pass out, go on crazy adventures, fall in love! I want you to have a joyful lifetime. Don't worry about me. My days of suffering will be over and I'll finally be at peace. Don't give up on life. Stay strong and gold, I love you Maika."

Kaori's voice rings in my ears and I tear up. I save the voicemail and I curl up into a ball.

I'll never give up Kaori... I'll do my best to survive...

♪ ♪ ♪

©Elise (Silv3rT3ar) for the cover of Spring Day. Honestly, this song goes so well with this chapter so I had to put it in.

Rachel✍