062

Maika

Messages from people at school pop up at least six times an hour, telling me that they're praying for me, or I hope you get well. I don't pay attention to them though, the whole day, I silently lie in bed, looking at the ceiling.

The nurses come in to check on me and then leave to see the other patients. Around four, the door opens again to reveal Watari, Kousei, and Tsubaki. To my surprise, Tsubaki isn't loud and attacking me with hugs.

"Hey, you feeling okay?" Kousei questions.

"Yeah, I'm fine."

"We... We brought these for you," Tsubaki hands me a box of pastries and I smile.

"Thank you," I say and awkward silence fills the room. The three either look around, or fidget with their hands. "Guys, please don't do this."

"W-what..?" Tsubaki stutters.

"I know that this situation isn't normal for us, but please, don't act differently because of it. That's one of the reasons why I didn't want to tell you is so that you wouldn't behave this way."

"We're sorry Maika... We just don't want you to.." Kousei voice trails off and I know what he's thinking.

"I know... I-"

"Maika, do you have a moment?" The doctor walks in and interrupts me. "Oh, I see you have company, I'll come back later,"

"No it's fine," I turn to my friends and say, "Guys? Uh-"

"We know, come on, we'll wait outside." Tsubaki interrupts and they all walk out.

Watari

The entire time I was in that room, I couldn't stop staring at everything else. I looked at the machines she was hooked up to, the uneaten food tray by her side, the flowers in the vase on the counter.

I didn't want to look at her.

I didn't want to see her suffering.

Tsubaki's ear is pressed against the door as she eavesdrops on the conversation within the room. "What are they saying..?"

"Here let me," Kousei also listens to the conversation behind the door and becomes serious.

From where I am, I can hear fine surprisingly so I pay attention quietly. "We just contacted your mother about the operation and if she confirms. She grants permission but this is all up to you if you want to go through with it."

"I want to do it... If it'll help me even just a little bit, I'll do it without hesitation." Maika replies.

"The thing is, we may have found a way to completely cure this disease-"

"What?!" Maika exclaims. "Oh, I'm sorry, please continue.."

"We already explained everything to your mother. It'll be risky because it's only a theory we have and no one has tried this operation out. You'd be the first to be operated on."

"Oh, really?"

"It's your choice Maika. You can continue with the medications but this is option that you have."

"I want to do it. It there's a chance for me to become better, than I'll take it."

My fists clench as I hear what her decision is, my back leans back on the wall and I slide down until I hit the ground.

Why would you risk it when you don't even know for sure if it works?

Kousei notices my actions and squats down next to me. "Are you okay Watari?"

"She'll be fine Watari, don't worry," Tusbaki says but that's what she said about Kaori and look where she is now.

"Why just when I realize it..." I mutter.

"Do you by chance, like Maika now?" Kousei asks.

I nod.

"I love her, I don't want her to go away..."

♪ ♪ ♪

Happy one year anniversary!! I published this book last year from today and so I really quickly wrote a chapter.

I'm thankful that you guys enjoy this story and have read up to here. I'm sorry that I'm not as active here, it's because of summer school but once I finish, I promise to update more.

Thank you!

Rachel✍️