Chapter Nine

Maika
The Next Day

"Hey, Kousei!" I call out. He stops walking and turns around as I run up to him in the hallway.

"Oh, hey, Maika. What's up?" He asks.

"It's about Watari. He's been acting a little weird ever since about two weeks ago. Has he told you anything?"

"Um... No, not really." He answers and his voice cracks. I can sense he's lying and I frown.

"You're lying to me. And don't deny it Kousei because I know when you lie. You become hesitant, your voice cracks and you fidget with your hands. So tell me the truth."

"I don't think he would be okay with me telling you. Probably why he hasn't told you yet." He replies. I didn't think our group kept secrets from each other. Well, I can't talk, I never told them about the accident and I don't know if I'll tell them about my disease...

I sigh and lean up against the wall. "You're right. I shouldn't pry. It's just that he seems more distant but at the same time, he seems closer. I know it sounds weird, but that's how it's been lately."

"I'm sure he'll tell you sooner or later." Kousei comments.

"Anyways, how're things with you and Kaori?" I ask.

"What do you mean?" He questions.

"Don't play dumb, I know you like her. Who wouldn't? She's smart, pretty, outgoing, and talented; there are a lot of things about her. And I see the way you look at her. I wish a certain someone would look at me like that too."

"But, we're just third-wheelers, side characters if you will," I say.

"I hope it works out with you and Watari," Kousei says.

"And I hope it works out with you and Kaori."

• • •

As I walk towards the school entrance, I pass by the dance studio. The emptiness lures me inside as I close the door and walk around.

"Let it be the most beautiful and free dance everyone has ever seen. It doesn't matter what the judges think, because if you dance like that, no one will ever forget you. I'll never forget you." Kaori's voice echoes in my head.

I put my school bag to the side of the room and take my shoes off. My body moves gracefully with the music as Kaori's song starts to play. My feet brush against the smooth floor and my chestnut hair dances along with me.

Watari

As I run up and down the field, I hear a violin in the distance. I turn and see Maika dancing along to Kaori's song again, just like she did that one night.

I smile; she hasn't been practicing at all lately, not even by herself in her room and her competition is this weekend. One of my teammates kicks the ball toward me, interrupting me from my thoughts. I kick it into the goal and my team high-fives me.

Across the field, I see Kousei walking and I run over to the fence. "DUDE!! Did you see that goal I just made?!" I exclaim and he falls to the ground.

"Are you trying to give me a heart attack?!" Kousei yells.

I pull out my phone from my shorts and turn it on. "I'm gonna text it to Kaori."

"So you choose Kaori?" He asks.

I stop typing. Kaori was just hospitalized but Maika has been acting really depressed lately. "I don't know man. I'll be there for both of them."

"Do you have the capacity for both of them?" He asks.

"What do you mean by that?"

"Kaori is in the hospital, she may be worse than what we think. Maika is your lifelong friend and you've always been inseparable. When it comes down to it in the very end, do you think you can keep both of them?"

"I'll do whatever I can to support both of them. We all will, right, Kousei?"

He sighs and nods. "Yeah, we will."