Chapter Two

Maika

"HOW DO YOU DO THIS?!" Watari shouts and flops on his bed. "Why is math such a confusing subject?" He whines.

"It's not that hard," I say.

"Yeah, but you actually pay attention in class!" He responds and sits up.

"And this the consequence because you don't listen," I reply while fidgeting with my eraser. "Now can you stop whining and pay attention?" I ask.

"I will attempt to do that," He says.

• • •

"Are you serious?! All you have to do is find what y is. That's the easiest thing to do!" I yell.

"What? How?!"

"Okay, you have to add this to y and then subtract three because x is eleven." I instruct.

He starts scribbling down what I told him. His caramel bangs brush over his forehead and I smile. He's so cute when he's committed. I can't even imagine us together, a girl like me and a guy like him? One look at me from him and he chases after the other girls. He probably doesn't see me as a girl...

"So this is the answer?" He shows me his work and I look over it.

"Yep, you got it right." I say.

"WOOHOO!! I'M A GENIUS!!" Watari cheers. "Thanks Maika!! You're a miracle worker!" He hugs me tightly and I freeze. But quickly after, he lets go.

"I'm only a miracle worker if you get all the other questions right," I say.

"Really?! I don't have to do all the other questions right?" He questions.

"You're hopeless," I shove him and we get back to work.

• • •

"Wow! I am a miracle worker!!" I say. "You got all of them right!"

"YES! I DON'T HAVE TO QUIT SOCCER IF I KEEP THIS UP!!" Watari screams. "YOU HEAR THAT MOM?"

"I heard that Watari!" His mom yells from downstairs.

He lays down on his bed and goes on his phone. I start packing when I hear a buzzing sound. "Hey, are you free this Saturday?" Watari asks.

I freeze and blush. "Um, yeah.. Why?" I ask. "Is he asking me out?! Of course he's not Maika!"

"Tsubaki texted you earlier and asked if you wanted to come meet this girl with us, but you didn't respond." He explains.

"Oh, I turned off my phone earlier." I say. It feels like my heart sank to my stomach. "I gotta go or my mom will be mad at me," I sling my bag over my shoulder and start to walk out of his room. "See you tomorrow."

"Wait, Maika-" He says but I keep going. I rush down the steps and slip into my shoes.

"Maika?" I hear Watari's mom say.

"Yeah?" I ask.

"Thank you for helping Watari. He's always talking about you and how you're great at everything. It seems he was right." She compliments.

I smile politely. "You're welcome," I respond and leave.

As soon as I cross over to my house, I run up the steps and into my room. I close the door and throw my backpack on the ground. As I look out my window, I can still see Watari in his room, lying on his bed. He sees me and opens the window.

"So you can come for sure right?" He asks.

"Yeah, of course. What time?" I'm gonna regret this so much, but I'll go.

"Around three. Tsubaki will come by and we'll go to the park."

"Is Kousei coming?"

"I dunno. She still needs to ask him." He responds.

"Okay then. I need to shower now," I say and close the window. He waves his hand and also closes his window and curtains.