048

Maika
The Day of Kaori's Surgery

Today is the day where everything may stay the same or change. How I dread this day. As I wake up, a wave of nervousness washes over me, like I'm the one having the surgery today. Well, soon I might be.

Once I get out of bed, I change into my day clothes. When I look into the mirror, a sad expression is plastered onto my face. When will it go away? I sigh and leave the house to go to the hospital. When I board the bus, I see Watari exiting his home. He enters the bus, he sits in the front whereas I am in the back. Girls that attend my school that are in the front swoon over him and he flirts with them.

I put my hood over my head and sink into the seat so he won't see me in case if he turns around. I see him pull out his phone and text someone.

Watari

Yo Maika, are you going to Kousei's performance today???
Sent - 10:48 a.m.

I can't, I'm going to the hospital. I'll see you at home though
Sent - 10:49 a.m.

Aww...
Tell Kaori that I'm praying for her surgery to go well
Sent - 10:49 a.m.
Read at 10:49 a.m.

I put my phone away into my pocket and look out the window, avoiding looking at Watari.

When the bus stops at the hospital, I walk off and enter the building. I walk up to Kaori's room and enter. Her parents are sitting beside her and they talk.

"Hey Kaori." I greet her. I stare at the cords and machines that are tied up to her. She glances over at me and smiles.

"Hey Maika! Glad you could come!" She states cheerfully.

"Yeah, me too..." I sit down next to Kaori's bed and her parents leave. "Kousei and the others couldn't make it, because, you know.."

"Yeah, I know. And I gave him the day off. I'm just glad you came." Her smile fades. "Honestly, what's gonna happen? Will God let me play again?"

"Of course, he will. And I'll be right outside that hallway, praying for you, okay?"

Kaori weakly smiles. "It's a shame you quit instruments so quickly." She sighs. "We only got to play together once and that was 'Twinkle Twinkle Little Star'. I'm glad that I got to see you dance though."

I can feel tears brimming in my eyes, blurring my sight.

Don't talk like that... Like you know that death's door is wide open, and he's pulling you in..

"Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star..♪" I begin to sing.

"♪How I wonder what you are,♪" Kaori finishes the first line.

"♪Up above the world so high,♪"

"♪Like a diamond in the sky...♪"

"♪Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star,♪"

"♪How I wonder what you are!♪" We both harmonize at the end and she smiles.

"You sound better than Kousei, he's not the best at singing." She compliments.

I chuckle when the door slides open. "Miss Miyazono? I'm sorry, but we have to move her to the operating room now. Please move into the hallway while we transport her." A nurse explains.

"Can I have one more minute?" I ask. The nurse sighs and nods, closing the door.

"Kaori..." My voice is already breaking. "You have been my greatest friend. You've become such an amazing, talented, beautiful person. I want you to know that I love you Kaori.." Kaori pulls me into a hug as I quietly weep.

"I love you too Maika.."

And just like that, the nurse took her away, leaving me in the empty hospital room.

♪ ♪ ♪

Almost done... Lol jk, there will be more after her death and past the anime/and manga.

Also, soon I'll be changing the prologue completely . It won't even be the same content as it was before so when I do redo the prologue, I'll tell you guys and you can go look at it.

Rachel✍