Burn in Water, Drown in Fire ~42~ Heaven Forbid

Start from the beginning

“And his sister? Who cares about her ex boyfriend?” Grace asked.

“I did,” I said. Past tense. “He didn’t like the fact that me and her belonged together and he never got over it. Not even when they were together.”

“Understandable,” Archer shrugged.

“You wanna go talk to him? To congratulate him then?” Streeter asked, pointing over his shoulder. “I know the phones are being used, but the office is empty because ‘The Sirs’ are gone at a meeting—”

“Trust me, if I wanted to talk to him, I’d already be on the phone,” I smirked. I felt Dale’s stare at me from a new position down the table with his own roommates. “And I have a feeling someone would find a way to snitch.”

“Dale ain’t gonna do anything because no one’ll believe him,” Archer laughed with his southern accent.

 I connected eye contact with Dale and unlike others, he didn’t look away.

***

I dialed a number that I had recently remembered.

“Hello?” a male voice asked in a cough as I heard music in the background.

“Who is this?” I asked, surely knowing it wasn’t Angel.

Brian, who’s—oh,” he said. Why did he have her phone? Why was he there with her? Why do I care?

The music ended and I waited around, nervously to not get caught past curfew.

Hello?” her heavenly voice greeted.

“Angel,” I smiled, knowing that if she had even greeted me in the nicest way possible face-to-face I wouldn’t have let her seen me smile.

Zac!” she greeted as if in a gasp. That’s all I needed to hear before I didn’t care about getting in trouble. It was worth it at this point. No. It was worth it when I dialed her number. “Wh-what—why are you calling me?”

“I had to hear your voice,” I said, sort of smirking and waiting for her to scold me for not being my true, a$$hole self. It was silent.

Where are you?” she asked.

“That doesn’t really matter,” I answered.

I guess…” she trailed. I started to hear voices and music in the background again.

“Where are you?” I asked. I slid down against the nearest wall, pressing my back against it.

“Graduation party. Devin’s not here, of course, but—”

“Why?” I asked.

“He…well some policemen needed to talk to him.”

“Tell him to only talk to Marshal Sherman or chief Rivers,” I said immediately. At least they knew about it all and wouldn’t push him like the others.

Alright,” she allowed. I sighed and threatened to close my eyes but seeing as it was what, maybe two in the morning, I knew that I’d fall asleep. But how could I have thought that when I wouldn’t be able to sleep with the idea of Angel running through my mind.

I already miss her. Ugh.

“Angel…” I addressed.

“Hmm?”

“I…I…” I need to grow the balls to tell her I love her. Man up. “I probably won’t be able to talk to you very often so...”

“Why’s that?” she inquired.