~CHAPTER TWENTY~

A/N So, as some of you may know, I restarted this book this spring. I saved all of my old chapters and when I have a spot of writers block I use one of the old ones as inspiration for new chapters. I was thinking and I wanted to use these two chapters because they are pretty good and when I was rereading them I realized that I published this chapter as chapter twenty last time! Oh, how times have changed! I've changed as a person and a writer since I wrote this, but for the sake of remembering the past, I needed to share all of this.

Thank you for sticking with me through all 19 chapters <3

~Viktor's childhood~

"Once there were four children whose names were Peter, Susan, Edmund, And Lucy..." I stare up at the white boring ceiling as Marinochka reads me one of her favourite books, The Lion The Witch And The Wardrobe.

It had been a month since my surgery and like the doctor predicted, I was paralyzed from the waist down. Once or twice I thought I felt my toes or something hit my leg but it was just a figure of my imagination. Since I got home from the hospital Marinochka had been coming over to my house to read to me or play video games or just to talk.

I look out the window. It was a habit now to look out windows. Looking out the windows represents something. Maybe the fact that I had never taken the time to be thankful for being able to walk and now all I could do was stare out a window at the world instead of being able to enjoy it for myself.

"Viktor," Marinochka looks at me and I stare down at the blue blanket that I wore over my legs.

"Would you like to play a game?" I shake my head still not looking up at her.

"Viktor, It's alright. I believe you will get better!" She says cheerily and places the book down on the coffee table. "And if you don't I'll be here every day to keep you company." I give her a half-hearted smile which she returns with a white sparkly one.

"Thank you, Marinochka." She nods and takes my hand. I hate how people pity me. Marinochka doesn't pity me as much as other people do, but I would like people to stop seeing me as fragile. I am the same person I was before the accident.

Marinochka stands up and hugs me. I pat her back and she sits down again and rubs her eyes.

"Please don't cry," I whisper. I feel a lump in my throat and if she started crying I know I would too.

{A/N Craft...MY PHANDON PEEPS WHAT UP?}

"I'm sorry, Viktor." She says and looks down at her hands. There is an awkward silence which is broken only by my mom who walks in with two mugs of hot chocolate.

"Thank you, Mrs Nikivorov." Marinochka takes a mug blue mug from her and I take a red steaming mug of joy.

"What are you two talking about?" My mom asks cheerily as she smooths the wrinkles out my blanket.

"Nothing," I say quietly. I still have a lump in my throat I couldn't seem to swallow.

"Yeah..." Marinochka downs her hot chocolate and hands, my mom, the mug back. "Thank you." My mom smiles at her then walks out of the living room where we were seated.

"Have you tried walking since the doctor told you that you couldn't?" She asked and blow the steam away from her mug. A week after the doctor told me I was most likely paralyzed, A nurse was sent into my room to help me stand and see if I could walk. I was hopeful and positive all day long and then when she let go I fell.

"Yes."

"Do you want to try again?" I look into her eyes. They were a nice hazel colour and went well with her light blond hair. She had a sweet appearance. Everything about her with kind and cute, From the pastel colours she wore to the light pink skates she always bought when shopping for new skates. She was my sanity as much as she was the reason that I am the way I am. She is always full of hope and I love it.

"Yes," Her face lights up and she stands. "But, Don't let go." She nods and wraps her arms around me and lifts me up. She is a lot stronger than most people would think. She steps back so she isn't fully supporting me. I hold the arm of my chair in a death grip and I look at Marinochka.

"Viktor, you're standing!" I nod and smile at her weakly, Not believing what was happing.

Marinochka lets my arm go."Suck it doc-" I try and lift a foot and start falling forward. When people say that your life flashes before your eyes when you are in a life or death situation like falling they don't actually mean it. It only takes a few seconds to hit the floor and the whole time you aren't thinking at all. You are frantically grabbing for things to keep you up. I have had two 'life or death' experiences and neither time has I had my life flash before my eyes. I probably would have enjoyed them more if I had seen my life flash before my eyes.

Marinochka picks me up and helps me back in my chair. "I'm-I'm sorry, Viktor." She says sadly. "I thought...Never mind. I was being stupid." She sighs and sits down in her chair. "Are you alright?" I pick up my mug of hot chocolate and take a drink.

~One Month Later~

Ever since Marinochka helped me stand I had been standing or at first trying to stand by myself. I had managed to stand by gripping two chairs that were close enough to my chair for me to turn them around. I would hoist myself up and at first, I would only stand, But eventually I got cocky enough to take a few steps. Before I knew it I was walking again.

"Are you ready?" I nod and my mom takes me out to the car and places me in the wheelchair. It was time for my doctor's appointment. I hadn't told anyone that I was able to walk again because I wanted to surprise them.

My mom wheels my wheelchair into the office and she puts me up on the white hospital bed.

"Viktor!" The doctor greets me cheerily. For some reason, he reminds me of my uncle. I never did like my uncle. He was always to happy. Even at Grandma's funeral.

"Dr. Coal," I say dryly and glance down at my blanket. It was almost time. I had been anxious to show my mom for awhile now.

"How are you feeling?" I put a smile on my face and move the blanket from my lap to the desk next to me.

"I'm feeling wonderful!" I say and put my arms on the sides of my chair and slowly lift myself into a standing position.

"Viktor, what are you doing?" I smile at her and take a step in her direction. "Viktor, sit down this instant!" My mother sniffs and holds a hand up to her mouth.

"So, Amy was right..." The doctor looks at me in wonder. Amy was the nurse who had helped me stand for the first time. "The spine was just bruised."

"You mean to tell me that you misdiagnosed my son? You said he was paralysed!" I had never seen my mother this mad. She grabs my hand and we walk out of the hospital and drive home while whispering under her breath words that I had never believed could come out of her mouth.

~Back to the present~

"And that's the story of my first skating injury." Victor finally sits back on the couch. He had been sitting with his elbows on his knees with his head resting on his hands the whole story. "After we left the hospital no one ever talked about my injury. Ever." I rest my head on his shoulder and he wraps his arm around me.

"That's an...Interesting story, Viktor." He nods. "But whatever happened to Marinochka?" Viktor looks down at the floor and sighs.

"We grew apart. I travelled to much for her to be anything more to me than a friend." He shakes his head and looks at me. "But that is in the past."

~

~Word Count: 1,450~

~Don't forget to Vote, Comment, and Share~