~CHAPTER NINETEEN~

~Victor's childhood~

"Ya Lyublyu Tebya, Viktor." {A/N If you don't speak fluent Russian then 1: SHAME ON YOU! and 2: It means I love you, Victor. And last, But not least I do  not speak fluent Russian or any Russian other than the word vkusno.} 

"Ya Lyublyu Tebya, Momma." I hop out of the car with skates in hand and run inside. I had forgotten as always to grab a jacket before we left the house so the cold wind blows through my thin white shirt and jeans. I throw the door open and walk up to the heater where I stood every morning to warm myself. My friend, Anastasiya waves to me and turns back to her coach who she had been talking to. They were most likely discussing how they could make her program more difficult.

"Viktor!" I feel someone jump on my back and I wobble a little but remain standing.

"Marinochka!" I say excitedly. Even though I see her every day for over 6 hours, it was wonderful to see my best friend. I had known Marinochka since we were in cribs and since our mothers were friends we were forced to play together. She had been nice though and had always been there for me and that is why I will always call her my best friend.

"I missed you, Viktor!!" She says and wraps her legs around me so I don't drop her like I had done countless times in the past.

"I missed you too, Marinochka." Some older girls that trained at the rink pointed at us and squealed. I've heard them say that we look cute together or something.

"Aren't they just adorable!" One says with her hands covering her mouth.

"I hope they get married one day!" Says another with bright red hair, who was just staring at us. I gag and take Marinochka to the rink so we could start practice.

~

"Again, Victor!" Yells Egor, my coach. I take a moment to catch my breath and start my routine again. It consisted of two triple axles and several other complicated jumps. It was exhausting, but I loved it. The thrill of being on the ice, the way people cheered for me. Oh, it was perfect. I close my eyes and feel the rush of adrenalin. I jump into a triple axel and land it. No one at my rink has been able to land a triple axel at my age. That might be why Egor as me doing so many. I do a simple toe flip and a spin. I go from the spin to another triple axel but this time my legs are swept out from under me. When I trip I usually don't hit the ice very hard but this time was different.

"Get up kid!" Egor yells from the stands. I try to get up, But my head is throbbing and my vision is blurry. I think I might have hit it on the ice. "I said get up! How are you going to win another junior world if you won't get up when you fall down?!" I shake my head to clear the dizziness, But it only makes it worse. Egor walks on the ice and over to where I'm laying.

"Marinochka, call an ambulance!" Egor yells and picks me up. He takes me over to a bench and yells at some more kids.

"Hey, Viktor." He slaps my cheek lightly. "Kid."

"Mmmmmmmm." I moan. The medics run-in with a stretcher and one of them starts bandaging my head.

"What's his name?" Asks one of the medics.

"Viktor Nikiforov." The medic bandaging my head starts talking to me telling me everything going to be alright. The lift me onto the stretcher and take me out to the ambulance. Black specks start blurring my vision even more and before they put me on the ambulance I black out.

~

"-Minor brain damage at the back of the skull and a fractured shoulder." I open my eyes and try to understand what they are saying. I look around a plain white room and my eyes land on a grey-haired man wearing a lab coat standing next to my parents. My mom's eyes were red and she looked like she had been crying recently. Her blond hair was in a messy bun and her clothes were wrinkled. My father had his arm wrapped around her and he looked just as shaken as my mother. I try to sit up, But the doctor tells me not to move because it might break the stitches.

"I have practice...I need to go." My mom shakes her head and smiles weakly at me.

"You won't be going to practice for a while, Tebya." She says calmly and my father looks away from me.

"You have a crack in your skull you need rest and to recover." The doctor informs me and I sigh and play with the edge of the white hospital blanket.

"How long will I be here?" My parents look at each other and my nerves catch up with me. My palms start to sweat and my heart beats faster than before.

"We don't know yet, but you will need time to recover if you ever have hope for skating again." The doctor looks over his notes on the clipboard.

"I will be allowed to skate still right?" The doctor looks at me with a sad look in his eyes.

"Viktor...A paralyzed man can't skate." I look frantically at my mother and father. My mother doesn't look me in the eye and neither does my father.

"I'm...Paralyzed?" The doctor sits on my bed and my parents walk out of the room because my mother started crying.

"You may have a spinal injury that could either make you unable to walk or make it very hard for you to walk."  I look out the small window to my left and watch the snow fall gently to the ground.

"We will do everything in our power to help you recover." The doctor reassures me. He gets up and walks out after a few minutes of silence.

"I want to talk to Marinochka...She would know what to do to make me feel better!" I say aloud even though I am alone.

~

~Word Count: 1,050~

~Don't forget to Vote, Comment, and Share~