CHAPTER 24: A Zombie Parade

"DK.... What should we do?" Violet shrieks nervously.

"Violet Edelweiss, should we have a lecture about never distract me when I'm driving?" I scolded. I try to get out of the road, turning to another interlink to get to the a different road connected to main road but I'm taken aback to discover the road is completely block by what it seems to be hundreds of zombies.

"Tell me, what should we do?" Violet screams inside the vehicle that echo in the small space.

"Can't you see? I'm. Get. Us. Out. Of. Here!" I reverse the Hummer, ignore the possible obstacles on my rear mirror. I speed up the Hummer, trying to take another route to leave this rampage. I continue on reversing, hitting any zombies blocking the vehicle, passing through a park and try to force entering a junction through Lane called East Acton. However, with zombies coming blocking my path to the lane, the drive through the green park has to be cut short. I skidded to an alley and ramp whatever was in front of us.

"Why are there so many of them? We didn't encounter them last night." Violet checks the rear mirror and keep facing back to check on the zombies and every time she faces back her panic attack start to come slowly.

"Violet, I suggest you stay still, don't look around, and just fix your eyes in front. Or better yet, get to the back seat and cover yourself with a blanket. Wait until everything is over for this moment. Okay?" I instruct her with a raising voice.

She unbuckles her seatbelt, jumping to the back seat despite the rumbling, she manages to comfortably lying and covers herself. I ignore the upcoming zombies as I try to control the steering and the impacts from the strong collision with the zombies. A loud thumping sound is heard on the roof followed by scratching and roaring. I glance over and curse for the misbehave.

You are not going to ruin this car. I wouldn't allow it. Another loud thump shouts. Violet squeals on the thumping. I clench my teeth, focussing on my ability, pressing my hand on the inner roof and locate the position of the zombies, with my mind focussing on it, I let out a psychokinetic wave follow with a huge exploding sound.

"This is my new baby, you wouldn't dare do anything to it." I murmur. I try to drive prudently but I end up crashing the dividers and sliding on it. I have been trying to get on the East Acton Lane but with the zombies making their morning hunt, I couldn't easily depart from the route and had to turn over to another street. The Hummer bumps a lot and it harden me to control the vehicle. Realising that I wouldn't get out of the town any sooner, I start to think of a hiding place. After another few collision with the zombies and rough get away, I remember seeing a workshop grand opening brochure at Pamilla's house. Figuring that workshop will be a great place for me to hide this baby and do a little fixing on the Hummer. I drive, leaving the current street and try to re-route to location of the workshop based what I partly remembered of the map given at the workshop.

I stop the Hummer at the side of the road across the workshop. Violet whispers from under her blanket wondering if it's okay for her to get up. I stay silence and this make Violet become more anxious. She raises her head slowly but I push her down without making any eye contact, still facing forward. Violet watches me from her position even so my face was hidden from her sight, only the back of my head as my hair shimmers through the yellow sun and the broad shoulder of mine that she can see. I concentrate on the view of the street and the buildings around, locating every deadly virus swarming with human cell. I inhale as I concentrate on my abilities; try to eliminate the living dead within 100 metres radius of my spot, clearing my hiding place.

"Just stay down Violet." I whisper.

It may take all my energy in making this large shield but I need it for Violet's safety. I must do it. Concentrating harder, I carefully build a shield slowly expand out. After nearly 30 radius shielded, I start to have headache. It starts to be fuzzy and numb as the shield grows wider and bigger, the pain increases. I stop expanding the shield after 60 metre radius wide, clenching on the steering wheel, trying to hold on the shield. Pain follows up as I try to keep the shield on. I move the Hummer slowly nearing the garage. When the Hummer reaches in front of the garage door, I lift the steel door up with my psychokinetic ability. As the steel raise up, I expand my psychokinetic wave clearing every possible danger in the workshop. I place a full 100 metre radius shields, eliminate any treat in the radius.

Satisfy on the workshop danger-free condition, I press the fuel, entering the garage. When the Hummer fully insert, I close the steel door behind me shielding the sunlight. I let out a long exhale, leaning my head on the seat, I furrow over my headache. Violet slowly rises up from her hiding place, looking over me. She gently reaches out; touching my forehead and pets my head.

I drift into her warm hand, leaning aside opening my eyes, looking at her pale skinned face. I craft a smile and pet her cheek. I turn off the engine and get out of the car, checking the office in the garage before informing Violet to get down the Hummer.

"What are we doing here?" Violet asks.

"We're hiding silly. It's too risky out there. I don't know when they will settle. Let just stay here within the time. Okay?" I answer.

"Why didn't we encounter the zombies at night? I mean, isn't that the time where they are most active?" she asks again.

"I don't know. I can't seem to figure them out yet." I answer. I could know the reason of their phenomenon but I can't seem to pull this one yet. I'm sure that zombies are usually active after the sun goes down.

Maybe they're active no matter what time of the day. Shit! What are we going to do now?

The noise of loud thump awaken me. I turn to look at Violet; hands full with her personal stuff. She looks at me frowning over her dropped items.

"Seriously, what are you doing?" I ask with a soft voice as I walk towards her, helping her.

"I think that we will be long here so, I decided that I'll make a camp." She says innocently.

"I don't think we will stay that long, it just for a few hours until the situation resolve. They will leave and faded eventually." I said.

"Yeah, in the meantime, I still want to make a camp." She says to me.

"Well, it's up to you then." I reply.

"Alright then. It's settles." I smile at her as she leads to the office. Placing some of her belongings on the couch. "Hey DK." She calls. I raise my head as I answered her. "Yeah, what's up?"

"Promise me, you wouldn't do anything to harm yourself" She says with a soft tone, like asking but more to a demand.

"What do you mean?"

Violet shrugs before continues. "Whatever happens, don't do anything reckless." She added. "I don't want to lose you."

"Don't worry. You wouldn't." I promised. Which I tend to kept.

I quickly check the engine in case of any default, upon seeing there's no engine damage due to overheating, I carefully take off the water tank cover and pour the water in. Next, I try to see if I can do anything on the damage. Slowly I move around the space in garage, looking for the tools that I may need for any repair.