Chapter 4: The rules cannot change entirely

I only notice that it's over 1 o'clock in the afternoon when the miners started to climb into the shaft and ride it to the surface. I look around to realise that I'm one of the few who is still in the mine. When I reach the shaft, the workers turn to take a glance at me and sneer.

"Is everything alright?" I ask. The men stop and tense up. Some of them take a few glances at each other but no one is brave enough to reply me. "Well?" I tilt my head, waiting for an answer from any of them. One of them finally mustered up the courage to reply me, he looks at me but he gaze his sights somewhere behind me instead. 

"It's nothing really," He stops to take a gulp. "We were just wondering," he stops again nervously, taking a glance over his colleagues. "If you ever notice the time. It's lunch time." He taps his watch. He exchanges gazes with his colleagues and lowers his head before shifting his body facing forward. Sweat breaks on his forehead.

"Well, I would really appreciate if you can let me know," I tilt to look at his face. "I lose track of time sometimes. You don't have to be nervous around me. I don't bite." I raise my clenching knuckle in front while looking at the men. "Hard." I add. They tense up and immediately avert their eyes away. When the shaft returns, one of the men lifts up the pannel and gestures for me to enter first.

"Ladies first," he gestures.

"Oh no!" I shake my head. "Gentlemen first, I insist." I reply with my hands still clenching down my thighs.

The men look at each other unsure whether they should accept my invitation. I smile broadly when none of them move an inch. "Very well, I'll get in first." I nod to the previous man and step inside the shaft, however none of the men followed me inside and stand outside the shaft, rejecting my invitation wholly.

"Come on, I've told you I don't bite." I invite them again. I shift to the side, making room for them. One by one reluctantly enters the shaft with his head down, avoiding eye-contact. They leave plenty of space to me. The shaft that can occupy at least 8-10 people at one time, has only 6 inside.

"There's still room. Would you get in please?" I insist. Pressuring them to get into the shaft, they hurry their way in, squeezing among each other, trying to not touch me. One of them closes the pannel and I press the button heading the surface. The shaft shakes causing some of the men to stumble but remain their distance with me.

"I prefer you get comfortable in this shaft. It can make you feel claustrophobic." I say to them but keep my stare ahead. "Don't make me say it twice." I add. Prior to that, I heard a rattling beside me and follow by some movement. When the shaft reach to the surface, I can feel a brief awkward movement against my shoulder. One of the men lifts up the panel and one by one leaves the shaft without delay. I wait until one man left as he steps out from the shaft and return to face me, brave enough to look at me in the eye.

"We know, you're not like the others. We know. But we also know that no matter what, your kind is always above us and you can do anything you want with us without regret." He says as he stares into my eyes with shattered eyes. It feels with rage but of all most, he looks extremely tired. Not because of the work, but because of the life he had to gone through as a felony.

"I agree."

"But I also know that you have every right as a human living. Just because you're a felony, doesn't mean I can get rid your right as I please. I know who I am, I know who you are. And from what I can see, we both have one heart, one brain, a functional body. That's enough for me to act equally with you. With everyone here." I add.

"And yet, that doesn't stop your kind to step down on us." He ends. He gives a slight nod and walks away.

Strangely, it made me feel sad. Like a rope tight my chest and squeeze it hard like a rodeo. I walk across the warehouse with the workers' gaze following me. They take a peak when I walk pass by them as they take their bite on their lunch and murmurs to each other. When I reach to the bottom of the stairs, I can see Violet's figure stepping away from the window. I climb and as I reach to the top, I see Violet sitting on the same chair before. She cuddles in her body and still refuse to look at me. I enter the office and walk towards her.