CHAPTER 20: Red like Blood

The day goes by so fast, I didn't realise it until the gloomy room become pitch black. Not even a glimpse of orange pinkish light warns me about the setting of the sun. I carefully scrample into my bagpack for torchlight. When the room turns brighter, I turn back to my experiment. The water molecules are still flowing against the gravity. I concentrate as the edge split and keep flowing up. As I increase my anxiety, I frowned when a pain strike my head. The water splashes on the floor. I flinched and shut my eyes tightly, holding any sense I have left and try to overcome the pain.

Few more hours pass and the silence begins to give me uneasiness. I turn to Violet and observe her looks. Fair skin, semi pale lips, long eyelashes, black wavy hair and a smooth skin. I rub her hand at my face. I know she's fine. She has too.

The moon shines at the dark sky. The zombies make sounds and seem to be active during night. I hear them moaning and hissing outside the room. The crashing and colliding sounds made by them spikes my alertness. I try my experiment again but this time I try to visualize the wave I made before. I concentrate hard and ignore the pain I suffer. An invisible shield appear in front me and as I keep picturing the shield, I begin to pick Violet up. She's waking up soon and I don't think being in this horror place is going to make it easier. I have to move now. I hope the shield can hold on until we get into the Hummer.

With Violet in my arms, I make another four shields to form a box. Every muscles on my body tense up over the straining from making the shields. My knees start to wobble and my spine sparks out a light electric shock that electrify all my muscles. I press my teeth against each other, I fear for a cracking tooth.

I can't do it. I can't.

Oh Lord, help me.

I shake my head furiously, blinking my eyes rapidly to get rid the foggy in my head. The sensory in my arms begins to fade away, and Violet starts to slip off. I take a deep huff and pull Violet in. My head is getting heavier and my legs take a long second to grab in senses. Walk you fool. I may not ready yet but there's no other choice, we're getting out now.

The corridor covers with danger vibe. My alertness spike up like fireworks. It gets worse with the electric shock my spine is making. The lights are completely burn out, leaving a pitch black, eerie space. I try to make the shield penetrating any unlived solid matter-you can say it zombie proof. But it didn't stop me from stumble on things and making noise myself. I want to avoid any noise as possible but I seems to attract the zombies more than I thought. A zombie runs towards the shield in front of me and hit it hard. I stumble as I try to hold it strong. His mouth shows its sharp teeth and he tries to scratch his way through the shield. I can't feel my feet despite walking through the darkness. I feel nothing except pain.

Pain.

Pain.

Pain.

Pain.

Pain everywhere.

Make it stop.

Stop already.

I can't do this even more. So stop.

My head plays with unencouraging words. It's like the devil wishes me to parish along the monsters creeping in the darkness. I feel like everything is against me right now. I'm tired. I'm really tired right now.

GOD! MAKE IT STOP! HELP ME!

I fix my carrying and walk forward slowly. Another zombie attack from behind. Leaving me squating down on the floor, trying to hold the pain and weight. Pushing myself hard, I hold Violet in my arms and reach up. I continue my way and lead to the corner. To my surprise, the entrance was blocked by a squad of zombies. Shit!

I reach a stroller and lie Violet down. I stroke her hair and kiss her forehead. We're going to make it. Stay with me. I push the stroller and slowly we face the zombies. They didn't attack at once. They seems to be waiting. One of them stands out in the squad. I realise all of them were standing slightly further from it. Do zombies have a leader too? With my strength I walk towards them, when my shield touches the leader, it screams and jumps onto it.

Damn it.

I stop. Another loud thumping sound with a sharp pain echoed in my head. Drumming like before. And the attack begins. All the zombies begin to jump in every direction of my shields, scratching and hitting them. I drop to the floor holding my head. My vision blurs again. The shield wouldn't hold. I take out my gun and shot every direction I can see. The bullets penetrated the shield and hit the zombies. Some of them fall and some of them are kick and step on. Splashes of blood and guts echoes outside of my shield.

Die.

It echoes again.

Die.

You must join us.

Die.

You belong to us.

I can feel the shields begin to crack. I lower my kinetic energy, shrinking the size of the shields enough to fit the lying me and the stroller. The force is getting stronger. More scratching. More knocking. I need to hold it. I turn to look at the entrance. It's there. I can see the door. I need to fight back. I look back on the zombies above me. The bloody fangs, chin drenched with blood and bits of brain. They look hungry. Super hungry.

You're not having me for supper. I pull Violet down to the floor and hold the shield as long as I can. The shield is getting weaker just like my strength. The shape of the shield is getting smaller and smaller. The zombies had entirely covered above us. I pray that I could hold the shield much longer but the pain that attack my head refusing to stop.

With all my strength, I release a huge one. My psychokinetic wave.

I see nothing but white.

White everywhere.

And then the white turns red.

Red.

Red.

Red.

Red.

Red.

Red.

Red.

Violet begins to regains her consciousness as the cold air blows on her face whispering at her ears, makes her jumps on the seat. "Oh! You're awake." I smiles as I keep my eye on the road. The sky is still dark and the moon is shadowed by the clouds and the glow fades. I was afraid that the road will be packed but it turns to be clear. I turn to her to look at her and she looks astonished.

"What happened? Where are we?" She finally said.