CHAPTER 14: Preparing for Survival

When I open my eyes, the sun has come out and my sister is no where to be found. I jump on my feet and look around the living room and kitchen. My heart beats fast that it make me dizzy. My palms and armpits begin to sweat. I run to the backdoor and open it. Before I take a step out, my ears perked up and my fingers tingle. I blink. One second I'm looking at the view outside the backdoor, next, I'm looking at my body facing the backdoor. I look at my astral form fingers; bewilder by the form of state I'm in. A second later, I'm standing in front of the main bedroom door. My ears perked a sound of running waters so clear, I can feel it running down on my face. The cold water gives me a sense of freshness and shivers as it run down my spine.

A rustling sound brings me back to the backdoor. The bushes rustle loud again each other as the wind blows hard. I step back from the door and close it. I turn away from it and move out of the kitchen. I went to pick up the wooden bat before sitting at the stairs.

What is happening to me?

I reach my hand to the my neck and massage the stiffness that has been straining my comfort. I tilt my neck to find the sore spot. But the squeak that comes from the kitchen perked my senses. I flinch and stand up, gripping the bat above my waist. I prepare myself to attack and defend if the walker manages to get inside.

They can't turn the knob. Can they? Did I not close it properly just now?

It confirm my suspicion when I hear a growl and hissing sound coming from the kitchen. The footsteps are getting closer to the stairs and a shadow begin to appear. I slowly climbing up the stairs as my eyes keep on the moving shadow. Violet opens the bedroom door as I reach in front of the room. She opens her mouth but I clasp my hand over it before she can say anything. I push her back into the bedroom and lock the door behind me. Violet blinks as she looks at me with a confusion. I shove her to the bathroom before returning to bedroom door. I peep from the keyhole of the door to see and hear the walker. The squeaks from the stairs alert me. I shift my eyes to look better. Violet calls from the bathroom but I ignore her. I continue look through the keyhole and wait for the walker to go away. I begin to be relieved when the growling disappears.

I turn my back from the keyhole and lean on the door. Violet crawls out from the bathroom to me. She glances to the door and to me. I move her damp hair behind her ear and give her a hint of smile. I wait for a little while before turning the door knob. I peek put my head from the opening; perked my ears to listen any sound.

I motion to Violet to follow me oit of the room. We carefully climb down the stairs and head to the backdoor immediately. The door is wide open and the silence of the backyard gives me a creep.

We sneak out from the backdoor, carefully towards the street. I've never seen such chaos before. Even the after riot at Parade Square is not as messy as the condition of the street. One of the street lamp crash on the ground after hit by a car. Blood covers the street, fires still burning the crashing cars. The houses' windows are broken and the glasses are everywhere. We hurry in leaving the street without trying to attract any threats. Violet's hand clasp in my grip. We run to another junction and discover a huge building called Terver Mall. Unsure what the building is, I decide to move along but Violet shows me a brochure that convice me otherwise.

"I think this is their Emporium." Violet points out. "They sell food, clothes and maybe weapons. Don't we need them?" I agree. We sneak into the parking lot and move towards the entrance. There are few of the infected hanging around at the parking lot but we manage to by pass them without attract any of them.

The inside of the building is not as grand as Elpidios Édes Emporium or any closer to Area 4 Emporium. The Mall is only has 4 floors and completely covers with marble tiles. There's no garden or fountain in the building. The air is stiff and humid.

If this is a movie. I'll be call an idiot for entering a mall. It's going to be a blood bath in here. I'm sure of it. But we have nothing with us, we need to get supplies. I lost all my stuffs and my micro.

I walk to the directory and find myself anything shops that sell weapon. Ancient or Futuristic. "Here we go, level One." I direct Violet to the escalator and climb it to first floor. When we arrived at the shop, most of the weapons are still there.

"Look at those pretties."

"Don't talk about dangerous weapons the same way you talk about your books." Violet growls. "They're not even laser guns." Violet's eyes widen to see the unfamiliar weapons displayed in front of her.

"They can't possibly have advance technologies because they refused to be alliance with the New Vision." I explain. I step to the back of the counter and reach out a long weapon. The tag says 'AK-101 Kalashnikov 5.56×45mm NATO'. I run my fingers on the rifle to familiarize the parts. The magazine, the stock, the grip, the receivers. I like this one.

"Do you even know how to use it?" Violet question wipes the grin in my face. I don't even realised I did it.

"Huh?"

Violet points at the rifle and ask me again. I look at the weapon in my hands before returning my gaze at her. I want to say I don't know but instead I nod and smile so confidently. I never see any of these rifles but as I hold the rifle, it's like all the knowledge of a professional gun handler just programmed in my head.

"Let just take this and few others." I nod to Violet and place the AK-101 on the glass table before reaching for another rifle. "Find any that you like. You need a weapon too." Surprisingly, all of this excites me. My feets become so light, I skip as I reach the weapons display high on the rack.

"No, thank you." Violet steps away from the counter and waits me at the shop entrance as she fidget her heirloom gold necklace.

The grin on my disappear as I watch Violet moves away from me. I lay down the rifle and watches her fingers playing with the necklace.

I shift my eyes away from it and hastily reach a smaller weapon in the glass display case. The tag says 'Glock 35, Type: Pistol'. I like the light weight of the pistol. It's easy to handle, and I can keep it close in my jacket. My eyes shift to the blades on the other glass case. I pick one up and give it a swing.

Daem, you're set!

_______________________________________

If you already read the entire story, this is just another edit from the previous chapters.

So if you have read this, so sorry. Do wait for another chaper.