CHAPTER 17: Lost and Found

"How can I be so careless? I lost sight of her when we were still at the aisles." I curse in my thoughts. I press my head hard, trying to calm myself, discarding the guilt I had for losing Violet. I need to find her.

"Calm down, I'm sure she's fine." Taylor whispers at my ears with a gentle voice. Trying to ease my nerves. He caress my back softly like I'm a little child. I want to believe that. I want to believe it. "Don't worry." He adds. She is going to be alright. I whisper to myself but as soon as I heard a scream behind the close door, I immediately barge to the door, wanting to open it. Desperately I want to go to where ever the scream are but Taylor pulls me on my waist as he pulls me away from the doorknob. He lifts me up and carries me to the other side of the room. I try to push his arms reaching for the door, urging him to let go. I have to get to my sister.

"Let go of me. Where the rest of the group go?" I yell.

"CALM DOWN" Taylor shouts as he puts me down.

"My sister is with them. I need to get to her. What if that screams was her?" I punch him on his chest immediately as my feet reach the ground. I try to run to the door back but he stops me.

"Are you insane?" he raises his voice. "They're out there. You can't just open the door. Are you trying to kill all of us?"

"I need to get to my sister." My pupil shrinks, I look at him with anger and frustration. I glare into his eyes and see my reflection. I dug my nails deep into my palms, trying to hold my anger. Anger to myself or to Taylor, I'm not entirely sure.

"I know that. But what you are doing right now can kill all of us. Kill yourself." Taylor persuades with confrontation.

I want to let out my frustration so bad but instead, I held my breath as I  count the numbers to calm myself. My head starts to throb. It beats rapidly like the beating of my heart. I clench my head with my left palm as I hold my tears, my anger. How can I be so stupid? Violet, please stay alive until I come. Wait for me. I'm coming my dear.

"There's an open ventilation path." A boy pointed above us. I stop to look at where he was pointing and frown to the unfamiliar panel above me. "You can climb there and try to look your sister. It links to the air tunnel."

"What in the world is that?"

"It's more like an air purifier. It sucks up bad odor, harmful fume out from a seclude space." Taylor's explanation make me realise how idiotic I must sound and for him to explain it so calmly is a trait that is difficult to find in Elpidios. I nod to the explanation and figures that this method can work. Please Violet, stay alive until I  reach you. I whisper to myself, alleviate it up. "So, this compartment is all over the building?" I ask one more question.

"Yes. Only to this floor it is. If you're lucky you might able to find a way to get up or to go down." Taylor says as he helps me climb onto the shack, I push the window inwards, spreading the dust on my face as I enter. It is dusty and covered with cobweb. I sneeze few times and keep rubbing my nose. My eyes started to become reddish, blurring my sight.

"Hand over your cloth around your neck." I reach out to Taylor. His forehead wrinkles as he pushes my hand away, refusing to lend it to me.

"Oh! Come on." I insist.

"Seriously?" Tylor complains, dissatisfy on my desperate request.

"Hand it over." I almost yell.

He then reluctantly untie the fold off his neck and hand it over to me. "By the way, it calls bandana." I snatch the 'bandana' and quickly fold it into triangle. I put it around my head covering my nose and mouth. As I breathe in, I took a sniff on the bandana and turn to the man.