Chapter 26: Blood Red Road

Nicole’s POV

     I was in a green field, there were white flowers on the ground and the sky was clear with fluffy clouds. About 100 meters away there was someone standing where their back turned to me. I slowly starting walking towards the person, curious to find out who he or she was. When I got close, I realized it was Destiny and I smiled as I ran to her. I tapped her in the shoulder and she turned around slowly. Her eyes were empty and they were the colour silver, they seem to stare right through me. There was something behind her and I craned my neck to see. It was a small tombstone, with names listed on it.

Mitch Hughes

Jerome Aceti

Adam Dalhberg

Jason Probst

Ty Rodgers

My heart shuddered…I turned to Destiny for an explanation and a moment later she spoke in an echoey voice.

“Mitch hated me…Jerome was too caught up in his own shadows of hatred and anger to care about anyone else. Adam blamed me for his girlfriend’s death when I barely know who she is Jason left me to die after lying to me so many times. Ty had a cold and aggressive heart and he hurt others. They didn’t deserve to live, Nicole, they all had to die…”

My voice was completely gone, I felt immobilized and every breathe felt like it was acid. Blood started streaming from the tombstone and towards me, soon the cold blood was up to my chest…it was literally drowning me. Destiny just stood there looking at me, she seemed to have a bubble around her that prevented the blood from reaching her.

   The blood started to choke me and tears of desperation and grief streamed down my face. I felt like I was on the brink of dying when I suddenly sprung up from my bed, covered in sweat and tears and tangled in the blankets. I heard screaming downstairs and I struggled to get up. My limbs felt like they were filled with lead but I forced myself to get up from my bed and pull my cellphone and wallet into a bag. That dream was a definite sign that I will only cause pain and maybe even death by staying here.

The plane ticket was just one click away from purchase. I quickly brought the ticket and quietly walked downstairs. Every part of me hurt like hell and the worst part that hurt was my heart.

As I slipped out through the door, I saw Ty throw a punch at Jerome… I could feel my sanity holding up by a thread. I rushed out the door, pulling my tiny suitcase behind me. I cried the whole way to the airport, after everything was done, I sat in the waiting area for my plane.

Suddenly my phone chimed, it was a call from Mitch. I let it go to voice mail and I listened to the voice mail.

“Nicole where are you??? Please come back…I already almost lost you once…I won’t be able to let you go again… please…tell me what I did wrong, hate me, scream at me but please don’t leave me. I need you…I love you Nicole, nothing and no one will ever change that. Please just don’t leave…” Mitch said. As the silent tears dripped down my face, the last bits of my wall just came crumbling down. 

Then the announcement called for all people going to Montreal to start getting on. I rushed to the front of the line, almost eager to get away from the sunny L.A, away from all the memories and pain.