Chapter 35: Dreams Made of Ashes

Jason's POV

the words repeated constantly throughout my head: Dark. Suffocation. Death. The dream was about Amber, how could it be Amber? Destiny ruined me, Destiny had been the one to put me through hell and back, not Amber! I growled furiously, punching the nearby wall, but it only went through. My fist balled up tighter, attempting to punch the wall once more. It slipped through. I turned around and saw I was no longer in a cell, I was in a house?

A girl with long red braids turned around. I gasped, Amber.

The white walls that held this mansion together blinded me, making me squint to realize that the girl was Amber. I walked closer and closer until I had my arms wrapped around her. She smiled softly before her face began deforming. Her once innocent face had turned evil, her eyes turning a red fiery colour, her red braids unleashed themselves off their bands. With a push of her hands, I stumbled back. I could hear the crackling sounds of wood being burned, and realized that she was leading me into a fire pit. 

Amber flicked her arm in a sickening matter before the whole room turned black; the only way I could see her face was through the fire burning behind me. Her wicked smile turned into a smirk, her eyebrows furrowed. Then, her hands shot out and went around my neck. I tried prying her off of me, except she just got tighter. I coughed, and with a sudden strength, my arms held her waist before shoving her in the fire pit. 

The sickening feeling of watching her flesh turn into ashes had showed me no mercy. 

Once the fire burned down, the ashes had spelled out: Destiny.

I woke up to the dark, cold cell. Destiny glanced her head up, her eyes red and full of tears. She hugged me tightly, sniffling into my shoulder. I pulled her closer, knowing that Amber was the one that tried to destroy me, not Destiny. 

"Shh, it's going to be okay." I whispered into her blood dried hair. Her lips were cracked and bruised, as well as the rest of her body. I wrapped my sweater around her, trying to minimize the shivers she's been encountering. 

"They're going to save you, and leave me, Jason..." Destiny whispered softly. Her grey eyes held a little bit of hope in them, but the rest of her body was already giving way. 

"I won't allow it." I blinked twice, my gaze flicking towards her lips before her eyes. 

We stayed there for a few minutes, hours, and soon drifted off slowly. A loud scream sent me over the edge, as if bringing me straight out of a terrifying nightmare. I looked to my left to see Destiny was no longer beside me, but she doubled over in pain. Her arm gripped her stomach while the other held her up. 

I rushed over to her, and pulled her against my body. The sickening sound of her throwing up was becoming a reality as blood dripped from her mouth. She shook frantically, gripping onto my arm. 

"We'll get through this, Destiny." I whispered into her ear. "Live to see it happen."

Her muscles tensed, but she soon relaxed against me. Her breaths turned into a normal pace. Destiny pulled the sleeve of my hoodie over her hand before using it to wipe her mouth. 

"Jason..." Her voice cracked at the end. 

I leaned down to her height before she spoke. 

"Be strong for the both of us." Destiny wrapped her arms for the both of us. "Nicole's going to need it." 

"What are you talking about, Destiny?" I asked. 

"I'm sorry..." She said before her eyelids shut and her body went limp. 

My heart stopped. The stillness of her body taunted me, and I felt a shiver go down my spine. 

"Jason... Jason, Jason!" Someone yelled.

My eyes shot open, trying to locate the voice. Beside me, Destiny held her worried gaze towards me as she seemed to breathe a sigh of relief. My arms immediately encircled her waist, pulling her fragile body into mine. 

"Nightmare?" Destiny asked, wrapping her arms around my neck. 

I nodded furiously, placing my head in between her shoulder and neck. Listening to her heartbeat as it thumped loudly was the best thing I could ever hear. 

"I love you."

I could barely hear what she had said, but when I caught on, my heart fluttered. I brought her closer and smiled brightly, ignoring the situation we were in. 

"I love you, too, Destiny." I smiled and kissed her. 

This, this is how it should've been since the beginning...