Chapter 31: Vampire, wolves and mages, oh my!

I knew the little stunt I just pulled was more than likely going to come back and bite me in the ass but there was no going back now. As I strolled away I made sure to put a little more sway in my step. I kinda felt like one of those badasses who just casually walked as a huge explosion was goin on behind them.

Like a boss.

Cause that is what was pretty much going on. Snarls and dirty words were thrown my way but did I care enough to turn around. Nope. We had made a little scene so I knew that it wouldn't be long before one of they guys found me to either A, applaud me or B, lecture me. I looked forward to neither cause that meant I had to see them again.

I ran a little to catch up with Lucas and Emma, they were heading towards a large open field with another massive looking building behind it. "This here is the training yards, there is a large track that loops around it and inner and outer training stations." Lucas explained while pointing out a group of people sparing out in the open.

"Why such a large area dedicated for fighting?" Emma questioned, trying to tame her long blonde locks the wind continued blow out of control.

Lucas smiled sadly. "Being a hybrid group means we bring in members who would have been outcast by their original clans or packs. We're not prejudice against what type of supernatural anyone is so we accept all, unlike most who stick to their own kind." As we got closer, I noticed the two who were off on their own under the shade of a large oak tree were a  male werewolf and  female vampire. Both were breathing heavily with sweat covering their brow as they squared off. Lucas must have noticed what caught my attention and stopped so I could watch. "Don't get me wrong, we don't bring just anyone in. Mr. Lance has a team of specialists who do extensive background check to make sure they aren't murders or anything but most of us who are here now were previously on the run." The couple circled one another once more before swinging into action. With claws extended, the male swung for the woman who easily dodged his attack and countered with a swift kick to the chest that sent him flying into the base of the tree. Emma gasped at the aggressiveness of her attack but something told me she could have done much worse.

"That being said," Lance continued. "We have made quite a few enemies who do not approve of our ways and so Mr. Lance and Knight require each new member to train at least until they can hold their own in a battle. Most however, desire to learn even further afterwards so Mr. Knight set up this. This area is for anyone who wishes to become part of our guard, the select group of individuals who are in charge of the safety of this family."

The woman smiled as she leaned down to offer the man a helping hand to stand up, which he happily took with a smile on his face. "We don't force anyone to learn to fight though, in-spite of what most think, it's not in every supernaturals nature to be aggressive." I couldn't agree more with that notion, I knew that Emma knew just enough to get herself out of a sticky situation but that thought of actually hurting someone sickened her.

Lance resumed his tour and I stole one last glance at the two under the oak. They were both laughing with one another as the woman threw her arms around the man neck and kissed him. My face flushed slightly and I quickly turned away from their intimate moment. I was still trying to wrap my head around the idea of vampires and wolves living together without tearing each other part much less actually having that sort of relationship.

How do you think we came to be? My beast questioned snarkly. When a vampire and wolf love each other very much-

I shook my head and growled internally at her sarcasm. I get how it worked. She just laughed at me.

"Now until you get comfortable here, I would advise you to stay out of the main training building." Lance chucked as he steered us away back to the main house.

"And why is that?" I asked as I peered up at the metal building that held no windows.

"That is where most of our vampires and mages train." I'm sure my jaw dropped at mages but thankful Emma took the words right out of my mouth.

"Really? Mages? I though they were mostly wiped out?" Her eyes were wide with wonder.

"Most were. But we are lucky enough to have a few within our family that we have been protecting for many years." He almost sounded proud.

Great. Vampire, wolves and mages all in one place? This sounds like the beginning some weird human novel.