Chapter 29: Staying

*To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering.*

"I presume that you'd rather forget about the kiss?" My face heated up at the thought and I just kept walking. After Knight pushed off the tree and picked himself up, he had proclaimed that we would start training me tomorrow so that I would be less of a 'burden'. I thought about telling him to shove his training but my beast managed to convince me it would be a good excuse to continue to tear into Knight. Plus, free training never hurt anything. If I was going to be stuck here I might as well gain something from it. Now, we were walking- no, I was walking and he was stalking- back to the pack house to find Emma.

"Little girl, I know you can hear me." I rolled my eyes even though I knew he couldn't see them. I was still kicking myself for kissing him. Sure it was a great distraction but I just gave away my very first kiss. And to him of all people. The innocent part of me was sad, she wanted it to be saved for someone special but mostly I was just aggravated that he had my first kiss and doesn't even know. Not that I was going to tell him though, that would just make his 'little girl' comments more true.

Deep within my thoughts, I just sighed and continued down the old beaten path. I began to wonder where Demi was and hopped the children hadn't gotten ahold of him. Goddess knew sticky children fingers and feathers should never mix.

"Woman!" A hard hand landed on my shoulder and spun me around. I met the face of annoyance and anger with one of my own. "You would do well not to turn your back and ignore me." His eyes flickered back and forth between the human and hybrid side.

Shoving his hand from me, I snarled. "You would do well not to lay your hands on me again, boy!" I felt my teeth elongate and my beast came forth to meet me, her voice mixing with my own. Even though she felt the pull of their hounds more than I did, she had her own limits and this man laying his hands on us twice in one day had just crossed it. She would take nothing less than the respect we deserved from anyone. "We sparred, we kissed you and then laid your ass out in the dirt. Wether it was a dirty move or not, we won that round." I couldn't help the flush that covered my face but I hoped that he confused the embarrassment for anger. "We agreed to have you train us but that starts tomorrow. Not. Now."

I held his eyes and they continued to change until they finally settled on his human brown. He didn't look any less unhappy but he took a step back and nodded.

Taking a deep breath, my beast returned to her safe place in the back of my mind and I showed him my back again. The sound of my stomach rumbling made me remember the events of this morning. Groaning, I pinched the bridge of my nose. First, I was almost kissed by Lance and then I willingly kissed Knight. Emma was going to have a damn heart attack to say the least.

When we walked into the clearing there were many others moving about. I was surprised to even see a few vampires moving around in the shaded areas. They must have been very old to be able to walk around in the daylight. The newer vamps couldn't even stand to be awake during the day much less walking around in it.

Many of them bowed their heads as we strolled pass. I wasn't sure if they were bowing to me or Knight. Pushing that thought aside, I opened up my senses to find Emma. Scanning the different scents and heart beats, I eventually found her inside the house still.

When I made it inside I found her and Lance sitting inside the same living room where we first talked. I instantly regretted my decision when Lance looked up at me with a worried expression. "Where were you?"

"Attempting to have some peace and quiet." Not that that went so well.

Emma stood up and began picking at my shoulder. "Looking more like you got into a fight with a tree." She plucked out a splinter making me hiss. "And the tree won."

Turning to face Lance, I said. "You Beta has a way of convincing someone to train with him." I watch him bristle at my words and shoot Knight a dirty look, a small smirk playing on my face. I hoped he'd get into trouble.

"So does that mean we plan on staying here for a little while longer?" Emma asked as she finished getting the last splinter out.

"For now yes, Knight made it painfully obvious today that I'm now possibly the 'most wanted supernatural creature alive'." I used air quotations to recite his exact words. "Which means if I'm going anywhere right now, I'll have to do it alone."

Emma slapped my arm. "Excuse me?"

"But!" I interrupted her. "Knowing you, you will not allow that. So until I'm strong enough to take care of the both of us, we will be staying."

She smiled happily. "Much better." So easily pleased. I smiled back at her.

"So you agreed to train with Knight? Willingly?" Lances voice held some suspicion while he eyed his Beta.

"I believe she has promise." Oh god, I mentally flinched as I watched the smile spread across his face. "I attempted to surprise mock attack her and she.." His smile grew wider. "Well she returned the favor in a very interesting yet dirty way."

I shot him a look to shut the hell up but he just laughed. Emma looked at me with a puzzled expression. "What way exactly?" I said a quick prayer to the Goddess for help. He was really going to tell them.

"Well, after I had her pinned." Lance let out a growl but he continued. "She decided to kiss me as a distraction, which worked quite well might I add." He added with a wink in my direction. "Quite aggressive this little one is."

I felt my face turn three shades darker as Emma squeaked with joy and Lance snarled even louder. "I hate you." I groaned.

*I know this was a rather short one so I promise to make the next chapter a little longer. Hope you enjoyed! 😘*