Chapter 8: In the Rainforest

Our food was good, like really really good. I made a note to most definitely come back here one day. We had finally dropped the subject of the mystery after I begged and begged Emma to do so. For once, she listened. After we finished up it was starting to get late which meant off we went to the club her friend told her about.

While she was giddy and excited, I was a nervous wreck. Not that I'd ever let her catch on but still, there were going to be tons of people which also meant tons of opportunities for bad shit to go down. She was happy and carefree though and I didn't wanna spoil with with being a debby downer. So I just planned on paying extra attention tonight. My beast was excited, I think she hopped something bad would go down just so she could come out and play.

Troublesome thing.

"Oh my Goddess, look at the line!" Yup, it wrapped around the building. "We are never going to get in there!" She started to pout as she parked the car. She sat there for a moment and just stared out the window, looking like someone just kicked a kitten.

I couldn't handle the puppy eyes no more and huffed. "Fine," I stepped out of the car and began walking toward the door. Emma had to jog to catch up with me. I glanced over at her. "You sooo owe me woman." She knew what she was doing. Little trickster knew I hated doing this. She just flashed me the biggest smile and linked her arm with mine.

As we got closer to the door, I sized up the bouncer. He was a large handsome man. Not anything to die over but he had some good features. Dressed in all black with a shirt that seemed two sizes too small, he was handing out wrist bands and lifting the rope latch to let couples in. Every once in a while he would turn someone way and of course they would cause a huge scene so his back up would step in and drag said people off. He smelled like wolf. My step faltered a little but I pressed on. I've done this hundreds of times to humans but compelling other shifters was harder.

I brought her to the surface slowly, keeping a grip on her energy. She was struggling for control more and more lately which was really tiring. Happily she obliged in the situation and peaked her head out just enough for my eyes to change. Once we were a foot away, his eyes locked on mine. In a low, husky voice, we spoke our command. "You are going to let us in with VIP passes." His eyes flared golden for a moment so I released more of her power. "You will also let in less supernatural creatures. Deter anyone who looks suspicious." I had him, the mans eyes were glazed over. We closed the distance and he slipped the little red bands over our wrist, softly repeatedly what I just said. Nodding at him, I pulled my beast back and we slipped inside.

Emma was on cloud nine. "Now do it to the bartender! Go my beautiful, sexy, beast! Be wild! Be free!" She started jumping up and down on me, her body already starting to sway to the music. I just shook my head and laughed. She took my hand and began parting the sea of people so we could get to the bar.

I had to admit, this place was pretty cool. It was rainforest themed. There was a waterfall in the corner of the room, all of the chairs looks like they were carved from real tree stumps and vines grew up the walls to give it a fantasy feel. The bar was against the back way, we were about half way there when a few girls caught up to us. It was so loud I wasn't sure what they were saying but from Emma's body language, she knew them. We stopped momentarily in the crowd and a few people bumped into us. I had to hold back a snarl once or twice but I finally had enough. I gave Emma a little push from behind and guided her towards the bar. Her friends shot me dirty looks but they could just shove it where the sun didn't shine.

Hopping up on stools, I waved the bartender over for us and brought my beast back to the surface. Thankfully this woman was human so it would be beyond easy. Locking eyes with her, I spoke just loud enough for her to hear. "Your going to give us whatever we want, no question asked. If anyone asks, you'll tell them that we are friends of friends. Got it?" The larger blonde woman shook her head quickly and repeated everything I had said. I dropped my gaze, cutting the flow of power from between us and spoke normal. "I will have a Long Island Ice Tea. Top shelf please, and my friend here.." I turned to look at her but she just smiled. My lips crooked into a smirk and turned back around. "Will have a Bloody Mary. Make it a strong one." I didn't know how she drank those nasty things but they were her favorite.

The blonde dashed off to prepare our drinks and I angled my body to look over the dance floor. "Come on! Let's go dance!" Emma jumped down and stood in front of me.

I shook my head. "You are so impatient, we haven't even gotten our drinks yet." She just gave me the whatever look. "Go, I will wait and guard our drinks." She started to say something but her group of friends screamed her name and came charging for her. Each gripping her by the arms, they drug her out into the sea of people. I smiled as I watched her in the middle of it all.

"Here you go miss." The bartender spoke from behind me and set our drinks down. I smiled at her and pulled a twenty from my pocket, placing it on the counter. She smiled a thank you and went back to work. In one hand I had my drink, they other held Emma's. I didn't trust anyone here to feel safe enough to let her drink out of my sight so I kept ahold of it. Taking a large gulp from mine, I shivered as it slid down my throat.

I laughed softly as I watched Emma bump and grind with a few girlfriends. She really thought she could dance but Goddess were they awful. Thankfully then men here were smart tonight. They gave the women in the middle just enough space for me to feel comfortable.

Leaning back against the counter with my elbows propped on it, I lazily drug my eyes across the crowd. I liked people watching. Could it be considered creepy?

Sure.

Did I care enough to stop.

Nope.

In the back corner, under the man made canopy, I thought I saw a face I recognized. There was a man there but it was too dark to see any facial features. Squinting my eyes, I tried harder to catch a better view at him but he stayed in the shadows. I wouldn't have been so paranoid but my beast had surfaced just enough to watch.

What are you not telling me? She knew something and it was starting to piss me off.

I could feel her smirk in my head. Just wait and see for yourself.

Ugh. That was reassuring. When I looked back up, snapping out of our mental conversation, he was gone. Great, look what you did. I huffed and tried to relax and enjoy my drink.

It was my birthday after all.

*Do a little dance! Make a little love! Get down tonight!*

*Sorry, couldn't resist. Anyways, as always, hope you enjoyed my masterpiece. (Insert sarcasm here) and if you just happen to feel gracious drop me a vote and/or comment!*