Chapter 27: Hybrid Like Me

*The devil doesn't come in a red cape and pointy horns, he comes in everything you've ever wished for.*

The sound of Lance calling after me had me giggling like a child. I was still kind of lightheaded after my almost kiss so I blame that for my childlike behavior.

I made a quick left and jogged past what I assumed to be a few of the pack members.. clan members? I couldn't remember what he had called them.. Anyways, of course they stared at the random red head running down the hall with a bird flying closely behind her. Their faces made me laugh even more I sped by.

"Kitten you can run but you can't hide from me!" Lance called after me. Shit. I needed to scram and scram fast. I could not see him right now, he might try to kiss me again and I think I just might let him. Ugh.

And that's a bad thing?

I mentally rolled my eyes at my beast and searched for somewhere to hide. Someone grabbed my hand and started dragging me long. "Whoa." I snatched my hand away.

The girl that grabbed me was much younger than I, she couldn't have been more than seven or eight years old. "Come one! You're running from Mr. Lance right?" She bounced back and forth with her hand stretched out to me. "I know the perfect spot!"

Well what did I have to lose? I could actually feel him getting closer. "Okay where to?" I placed my hand back in hers and she took off with inhuman speed dragging me along with her.

She's a hybrid child. My beast wondered out loud.

I was just as shocked as she was. Using my own inhuman speed, we ran though the house and out the front door. People that we past either laughed at us or just shook their heads.

Instead of running straight into the forest like I figured she would, she made a quick turn and we ran around the side of the house into the back yard. I was shocked to see a massive tree house placed in an old looking live oak tree.

Letting go of my hand, she scaled the rope latter with obvious experience. "Hurry!" I looked up to see a few more children waving me up.

Demi left my side and flew up into the branches above the tree house where he waited for me with an impatient look. Shaking my head I followed his lead. I was started to regret this hiding place but I couldn't just leave now.

Once made it up the latter I had the crawl through the tiny child door. Thank Godess I could actually fit. The inside was large enough for me to stand up in thankfully.

I was surrounded by children of all ages, the youngest looking to be around four or five and the oldest seeming to be near eight or nine. Five little sets of eyes were on me, waiting for something.. "Uhh.. Nice place you got here."

Cue verbal explosion. "What's your name?" "Where did you come from?" "What are you?" "Is that your birdie?" "Do you wanna play?" "Look at the drawling I made!"

"Will you shut up!" The girl who led me here screamed. As soon as everyone calmed down she led me over to a bean bag where she told me to sit. Obediently, I sat. All of the other children pulled up their own different colored bean bags and gathered around. "My name is Amy, and these are my noisy friends. Who are you?" Her voice was very soft like a whisper on the wind, but I could hear the underlining tone of compulsion.

"My name is Lilith, it's very nice to meet all of you." Not having much experience with children made me slightly nervous but the looks on their faces told me they either didn't care or didn't notice.

"You are a hybrid like me right?" She asked as she reached out to touch my arm. "Can you do it? Can you change your arms like the adults do?" Her tiny little fingers ran across my skin like it was the seventh wonder.

Clearing my throat, I wasn't sure what to say. How open was this pack to hybrids? Did they freely shift out in the open? I didn't want to scare them.

"It's okay if you can't. I can't yet either." A few of the children nodded their heads in agreement. "Daddy says in just not old enough yet." Were they all hybrids or just couldn't shift in general?

Maybe I should have stayed and braved Lance. Speaking of him...

"Kitten I can smell you up there!" I cursed inwardly. All of the children ran to the front of the tree house full of laughter while I sunk lower into my bean bag.

"There is no kitty up here Mr. Lance!" One of the children yelled. Him and that stupid pet name.

Taking my hand once more, Amy began pulling me towards the back. "There is a back way out." She whispered. "They will keep him busy while you sneak away."

Right on cue I could hear little bodies defending the latter from the almighty alpha. Like he could fit in here anyways.

"Thank you." I whispered back as she shoved my though another tiny door and onto a balcony.

"No problem miss, now you'll have to jump but your a hybrid like my daddy and Mr. Lance. You're not scared right?" The way her head was tilted to the side made me want to laugh. It was a pretty big jump for a normal person but she was right, for someone like me this was nothing.

"I've got it. Thank you again Amy." She started to turn away but I stopped her. "Hey, don't worry about trying to shift okay? It will happen, I promise." Her face lit up as she nodded her head. "Good girl. Now go hold him off for me."

The jump was a breeze. Landing in a crouch, I took off towards the woods. A little peace and quiet would do me good I thought and my beast agreed.

I had to admit though as I made it just past the tree line. It was in fact beautiful here. Where ever here was. Slowing to a walk I admired my surroundings. It was still as dense as the woods where I grew up were but different in away. Less fallen sticks and pine needles and more soft green grass and moss. Everything looks so maintained that I had to believe this wasn't natural. Did they clean up the woods around here?

I strolled along until I found a large rock that was bed up next to a tree with white bark. Most of the rock was covered in moss but for one spot. Like it was made just to be sat on and so I did. Using the tree as a back rest, I got as comfortable as I could and closed my eyes.

So much as gone on part of me thinks this is all a dream. I'm now an outcast from the Steel Pack. I have no doubt that they will hunt me down for 'stealing' their princess. Found out other hybrids exist. Captured by hybrids. And to top it all off, I found not one, but two, potential mates.

Sighing, I knocked my head back against the tree softly. "Can I get a round of applause please because my life is a walking soap opera now."

"Dramatic much?"

Surprised, my eyes flew open. Knight leaned against an the tree across from mine in the usual stance. Arms crossed, face blank.

"Perhaps you should be more aware of your surroundings? Carelessness like that could get you killed."

I didn't understand how I didn't hear him come up. "I thought it was supposed to be safe here?" I countered.

"From outsiders, yes." His face hinted at more.

"Then I have no need to worry as of now." It was meant to come out as a statement but ended up sounding more like a question.

"Wrong." A smirk tugged at his lips. "You are a hybrid female, you are never safe."

My beast began to rise within me. "Are you threatening me?" My voice was steel as I braced myself.

His smile was a beautiful as it was deadly. "I'm promising you girl."

*Just gonna drop this chapter here and scurry away. Enjoy!*