"Derek, do you wish that Trystan spoke to you about things the way she talks about them with Peter?"

"Every time I try, he hardly listens," Trystan interrupted, and Dr. Robert's gave her a curt look.

"Trystan, please, allow him to answer."

"Of course I want her to talk to me; about anything," Derek responded as if the question had been asinine. "We should be able to talk about anything, but I feel like she holds a lot back from me."

Dr. Robert's line of vision trailed to Trystan. "And does that happen because you believe he hardly listens?"

Trystan nodded. "Every time I wanna talk about my day or how I'm feeling, he's either too tired or still has work to do when he gets home. I understand we have conflicting time schedules and a lot of times he does really just wanna rest, but having a conversation shouldn't feel like a damn battle."

"And so you speak to Peter to compensate that?" With her hands folded and face placid, Dr. Robert's asked the question as if it bore no weight, and though it was not meant to be, it came off as accusatory, and yet again, Trystan felt the need to defend herself.

"No!" she blurted without really thinking about it. "I just . . . Peter has always been a good friend of mine and we enjoy each other's company. I know that may sound inappropriate, but it's the truth. Nothing is going on between us."

"Trystan, do you know what an 'emotional affair' is?" Dr. Robert's asked.

Aghast, Trystan replied, "Yes, and no, I'm not having an emotional or any kind of affair with him. Why are you assuming that?"

Dr. Robert's leaned forward. "Trystan, these sessions aren't to place blame or be denunciatory; we're all speaking these things through in order to help you both understand how you act within your relationship. Please, I ask that you try not to take offense, but to listen."

Trystan sat back against the couch, feeling defeated and unheard.

"Now, as humans, it's completely natural to seek love, trust, and validation. It can build happiness and improve overall quality of life. However, when one doesn't feel they are receiving that in one place, they may search for it in another, whether they recognize it or not." She offered her a sympathetic look.

"And that's not to say you're experiencing one, at least not yet. I want to assist and stopping it from getting that point. Many of these situations start as only friendships, but grow into something deeper when you find something within it you aren't getting at home."

Trystan said nothing, and Dr. Robert's turned to her partner. "And Derek, while your suspicions are validated, that doesn't mean Trystan's at fault or what she's saying doesn't hold any value. There's a reason she doesn't feel comfortable or vulnerable around you, and being in a relationship, it's important to make sure your partner is satisfied being in the same space."

She looked at them both, hoping her words had been received. "Now, I want you both to try a new exercise this upcoming week. Derek, I remember you mentioning that your sex lives are still in tact, but that does not mean there's any physical intimacy."

Trystan was glad she had been the one to say it and not herself. Sex was only sex with Derek. She did not feel and had not felt a connection with sex in a long time.

"And in your case," Dr. Robert's continued, "you both need to work on building mental intimacy before going on to seek anything of physicality. For the next seven days, I don't want you either of you having sex together. The only physical touching allowed is hand-holding, cuddling, and hugging. Physical intimacy is not limited to sexual relations. I want you both to feel comfortable and safe from just an embrace.