56

Peter thought maybe, if he were to ever leave Trystan alone for a while, that the allegations of him loving her would stop. He thought that maybe, if he made up fibs as to why he could not speak to her as often as they had, something about work or seeing his family, that that time spent away from her, would soothe over his feelings, maybe even ice them so much that they could never be thawed.

But he stood at her doorstep, the key from the flowerpot clinched between his fingers as if it were his own home two weeks later. He unlocked the door and entered the house, smiling before he could even tell what was going on. He had anticipated it the entire week, walking inside the home that had offered him nothing but comfort.

Music played from the family room, and when he crept to it, his smile turned into soft laughter as he leaned against wall and watched Trystan with her child.

Raina was on her hip, giggling as Trystan spun her about to a jingling nursery rhyme.

"London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down, London Bridge is falling down, my fair lady!" Trystan sung to her, each time the word down passed her lips, she would dip Raina, who squealed delightedly and clung to her so she would not fall.

They both sang it together two more times before collapsing into a fit of giggles onto the couch. "One more time, Mommy!" Raina insisted whilst giving her an Eskimo kiss.

"I'm worn out, baby." Trystan feigned exhaustion, exaggerating it by placing the back of her hand on her forehead and pretending to faint. Raina giggled and tried to shake her back awake.

"If we keep on dancing, whose gonna watch the cookies?" Trystan asked upon awaking, and Raina gasped as she had just remembered that acute fact.

"Okay, we can dance after the cookies are done!" she finalized and Trystan chuckled before kissing her.

Peter watched on contentedly, the exchange doubtlessly adorable. No matter what Trystan told him about Derek or the other stresses in her life, there was no doubt that she was completely in love with the little girl.

"Did someone say cookies?" Peter finally spoke up as he pushed himself off the wall.

They both swiftly turned to him, having not realized he had been there all that time. Raina scrambled off her mother's lap to run over to him as Trystan's own grin widened at the sight of him.

"Mr. B!" Raina reached up toward him and he grabbed her into a hug. "I didn't know you were coming!"

"Your mom wanted to surprise you," he revealed, glancing up at Trystan who smirked at them both. She did not let on that if it had been not for Raina's constant pestering to see him, his coming by would have been all for herself.

"Mommy and me are making choco-chip cookies!" Raina announced, and the aroma of sweet chocolate indeed wafted through the air. "Nanna is coming to see me today, too, that's why we made them."

"Your mom?" Peter asked Trystan and she nodded.

"Every fall she comes down for a few days to see us."

"Well, that sounds exciting," Peter returned to Raina. "Do you think there'll be any left for me?"

The small girl giggled. "Yeah; Mommy and me made a whole bunch!"

"Dew, why don't you go and wash up so we can make the last batch, okay?" Trystan offered and the small girl complied without protest, eager to assist in making the treats.

Once out of eye and earshot, Trystan smiled and reached out to embrace Peter. "Thanks for coming on such short notice," she said over the shoulder of his jean jacket, relishing in the feel of his arms around her waist. He had gotten a haircut, the sides low and the top still thick with his curls. He smelled nice, too, and she fought from breathing in deeply his cologne.