12

Kimioko took a bite of her spinach salad, moaning at the burst of herby flavor. "I'm so glad we finally went out tonight, Peter. I have to admit, looking over wedding invitations while eating takeout was starting to get old."

The couple were dining at a popular restaurant in uptown Los Angeles, the ritzy eatery one of Kimioko's favorites. Soft piano music lulled in the background by a live band and was accompanied by the clinks of glasses and silverware against plates. On Peter's own was the Chef's Choice; a square of filet mignon with sides of asparagus and mashed potatoes. Peter wasn't particular to upscale restaurants; he'd rather have a good home-cooked meal, but he knew Kimioko would be delighted to be out of the house, even if it only were for a salad.

Peter admired his fiancée, looking lovely in a black dress that accentuated her thin figure.

"Well, I'm glad that you're glad. I know how hard you've been working on everything for the wedding, and I wanted to let you know it's appreciated. So what's a better way to commend my lady on her great efforts than to take her out to her favorite restaurant?"

"Aww." Kimioko reached across the small table to pinch his chin gingerly. The waiter returned to the table to refill their glasses, the burgundy liquid of aged Merlot tantalizingly sweet.

"To us." Kimioko lifted her glass and Peter met her halfway. After taking a celebratory sip, Kimioko looked up thoughtfully. She dragged her tongue across her top lip, the action causing Peter's manhood to tighten. "You know, I think there's one thing that's better."

"Oh? And what's that?" Peter prompted although he caught the hint by the suggestiveness that dripped in her tone. "You'll find out soon enough."

Kimioko's warm body molded against Peter's, his arms secure around her waist. She was sound asleep, lulled by her own voice as she rambled on and on about the wedding plans. Peter would have preferred they finished their session with gentle kisses, but humored her conversation. He probably would have been more entertained had she included him into it more than answering her own questions. Peter didn't bother to inhibit her one-way conversation; he simply let her wear herself out.

Gently setting her body beside him, Peter headed toward the shower, where he finished off what Kimioko hadn't. He never openly complained of condemned her about the shortcomings in the bedroom—he cared about her too much to make it an issue—but he would lying to himself if he said he was satisfied with their sex life.

He and Kimioko only made love every so often, and even then it only lasted until Kimioko was worn out and it was mediocre at best. They used to be wild rabbits when it came to sex, but throughout the years as they both  became heavily involved with their careers, it dwindled. Kimioko was never a fan of performing fellatio and absolutely refused to do it, even if Peter were to pleasure her that way.

Though he was frustrated, he refused to make a big fuss—she would be quick to call off sex all together if he did. Kimioko herself didn't let on if she was as unsatisfied as he was, but he wished she would, even at the risk of her being angry at him, just so they could progress from their blasé coition.

Peter left the shower to see that his woman was still sound asleep, probably dreaming of wedding plans.

Trystan stared blankly at her open suitcase as she sat on the edge of her bed, Bella snorting on her lap. She had really expected the bag to be full, as she thought she was returning to New York. But, alas, Akil Benson's business card was still pressed between her fingers, their phone conversation still fresh on her lips and ears.

Trystan debated calling her mother to inform her of the news. Yvonne was sure to talk her ear off but she could be persuaded with the right words. Trystan hoped she could find those words. She'd already called Angelique, who was ecstatic about the status. "See? It was meant to be for you to come to L.A.!" she'd exclaimed.

Before she lost her nerve, she quickly dialed the matriarch's number, anticipating the barrage of questions her mother was sure to ask of her.

The dial tone sounded and ringing followed suit. Trystan was are the cheery tone in her mother's intonation would alter as soon as she heard the news.

"Hey, Ma. How are you?"

"Fine, fine. Just doin' some laundry." Trystan heard the shuffle of sheets through the phone, and felt bad she would be disrupting one of her mother's favorite "busy" habits. "How are you doin', baby? Shouldn't you be on a flight back by now?"

Well, there was no use in stalling. "About that, Ma." Trystan stood from her bed and began pacing about. "I won't be coming back . . . at least not until Christmas or New Year's."

"What? Why not? You said you would be coming back when the two weeks were up."

"I know and that was the plan but . . ." Trystan's eye passed out the window. "I got offered a position at a production company out here."

"What's wrong with the production company in New York?"

"Nothing!" Trystan rushed to amend. "I love Espresso, you know I do, but it's just that . . . Vivacity is one of the top production companies in the world and Espresso is . . . local. You don't want me to squander an opportunity this big, right?" Guilt-tripping her mother was the only thing Trystan could think of to persuade her mother. If that didn't work, nothing would.

Yvonne sighed on the other line. "Of course not, Tree. But you know how it is around here without you." She didn't have to delve any further. Trystan was aware that her mother and the their family depended on her presence.

After her father passed when she was a teenager, Trystan was the only piece of her father that they had left. She never understood, alas, why she was the prized possession of her family. She had paternal uncles, aunts, even a grandmother who shared what she shared with her father, but it seemed her presence mattered the most. Maybe it was because her eyes shone with drive and her smile lit determination, just as her father's had. Maybe it was because she was the only child born of the second generation; the only proof that her father existed. Her family held on to her tightly, as if holding on to him. But she decided in that moment that she couldn't breathe.

"Mom, I have to do this," Trystan released decidedly. "There's more opportunity for me out here. Landing a position in Vivacity off a single that hasn't even been released yet is unheard of. I won't find that back home. I promise to visit as often as I can." Trystan hoped the appeasement would be enough to win her mother over. Leaving for two weeks versus leaving entirely for the other coast of the country was an extreme change in plans and Trystan was sure her mother was overwhelmed with the sudden news. She could just picture her flopped down on her old couch with a hand pressed to her forehead.

"It's all just so fast, Tree!" her mother exclaimed. "Do you really have to move so far? You can't just fly out there?"

"Mom, I know I'm a producer but I'm not making bank like that yet. I couldn't afford it even if I wanted to. Lique's letting me stay in her brother's old house until I get a place of my own and I still have a car on the way. If you're worried about me being alone out here I have my best friend. Bruno is a colleague but he used to be close to our family. I'm meeting new people every day and—,"

"Okay, okay," Yvonne interrupted. "I shouldn't be stressing you like you're a teenager. You're a grown woman and you don't have to explain to me your living arrangements. I know you've got it under control."

"Really?" Trystan blurted, shocked at the sudden change in opinion. She expected she'd be on the phone all night debating.

"Unless you want to stay in New York..."

"No! I mean-I want to work out here. But I'll visit as often as I can!"

Yvonne chuckled at her daughter. She faulted herself at the way Trystan could be. Her daughter always put her family on the forefront, which wasn't a bad thing, but it was time she was allowed to live on her own terms. Yvonne didn't want to be the reason for Trystan's dimmed dreams.

"Do what's best for you, Tree."

. . .
    . . .
. . .

Super sorry for the hiatus. School was keeping me so busy but this is my last week so updates will come much sooner. Thanks to all who read! :)