49

"Trys? Who's Trys?"

Christine, her perspired, bare chest rising and falling as she tried to catch her breath, looked up at Peter quizzically.

Still inside of her and not appreciating her sudden stall of movement, he furrowed his brows. "What?"

"You just called me 'Trys'."

"No, I didn't."

"Peter, yes you did."

She sat up, forcing him to pull out. Hauling the sheets to cover her breasts as if suddenly modest, she swung her dark hair over her shoulder and chuckled lightly. "You know I don't really care who else you sleep with, but God, Peter, to call me another woman's name? I thought I meant a little more to you than that." She did not appear particularly angry, just curious as to whom it was that occupied his mind so much that he had forgotten which woman he was lying down with.

Peter had not even realized he said it, and when he backtracked and realized he did, he said, "Sorry." He tried to keep his composure in front of her, as internally, he was beginning to freak out over the circumstance.

"You don't have to apologize." Christine assured and cradled his cheek with her hand. "Just don't call me someone else's name." She jabbed her forefinger into his chest before smiling and inviting him back in between her legs.

When she left, satisfied and promising to stop by later in the week, Peter took a shower and could not stop his mind from racing as the heated bullets pierced his skin.

Trys? Why in the hell had he called out Trystan's name? Of course she was just as beautiful, probably even more so as of recent, but she was hardly on his mind in that way—and if she was, he resolved that to coming with the territory. He thought about women all the time, so it was no surprise that the woman he had been in love with at a point in time would be included in that. But to say her name and not Christine's? It was a bit nerve-wracking.

Neal agreed as well, annoyingly so, when he called Peter to remind him of their plans to meet for another production opportunity.

"Are you fucking serious, bro?" Neal laughed aloud to Peter's aggravation.

"You know, I only told you for some advice but I'm guessing that'd be too mature of you to do," he deadpanned, seconds away from pressing the button on his earpiece to end the call.

"I'm sorry, man," Neal apologized, still chuckling. "That just caught me off guard. It's just weird; why would you say her name? You guys haven't been together in years, and last time I checked, you don't even love her anymore."

Peter did not know why that sounded so harsh when it was relayed back to him, but he humored his friend nonetheless, "That's what I'm saying. I've been fucking with Christine for almost a year now. That shouldn't've happened."

"Was she mad?"

"No, she was actually cool about it, but still, that shit can't happen again."

Neal did not respond with words, but with a lasting snicker.

"What the hell are you still laughing at?" Peter asked.

"Nothing, it's nothing. It's just . . . nothing, man. Just know you're clueless as hell sometimes."

"What's that supposed to mean?"