40.

The sun had begun to go down, the sky turning dark above us and the temperature dropping significantly. I hugged the coat I was wearing – the one Scott had given me – and kept my eyes glued to the two figures leading the group, Scott and Sp00n, who were busy talking and pointing at the hills in front of us. Telling from the slightly relieved and excited look on Sp00n's face, we were almost at our destination.

Whatever that meant.

My eyes were glued on Scott's back, the leader still looking pale from losing one of our closest friends, and I carefully watched his every move. He seemed highly on edge even while just talking to Sp00n and for a moment I wondered if he'd gotten any good sleep lately. I hadn't seen him relax ever since Snake died and he took leading the group upon himself, so Russ and I had both decided to keep a close eye on him just in case it became too much for him to handle.

Speaking of Russ, I looked behind me to see him slouching after us, his feet dragging across the ground slightly and his hands stuffed in his pockets. His jaw was clenched and his eyes clearly held pain. I knew Russ and Minx had been very close... Her death must hurt him so much worse than it hurt me, and I was already very pained by it... I couldn't imagine the pain he was going through right now.

"Are you okay?" Felix's voice interrupted my thoughts, the Swede grabbing my hand and giving it a soft squeeze. I gave him a smile and nodded.

"Yeah, I am. I'm just worried about Russ," I said honestly, glancing back at the brown-haired boy behind us. "Minx and him were best friends, weren't they?"

"They were," Felix said sadly, also looking back. He let out a deep breath. "I still can't believe Minx was still here this morning, but now..."

Now it was my turn to give his hand a squeeze. "I know... I can't either."

A silence fell over us once again, but neither of us minded it; we didn't let go of each other's hand as we continued walking. The forest slowly became thinner the farther we walked and we started going uphill, making me groan internally. My feet were hurting already and no matter how comfortable Scott's winter coat was, it was still freezing cold, and as the sun began to disappear from our sight, the temperature started to drop even more.

"Once we're on top of this hill, we should be able to see the city," Sp00n spoke up loudly, grinning at us. He seemed to be the only one of us in a good mood, but that was probably because he was the newest member of the group and hadn't known Minx for very long yet. For him, her death was just like any other in this rotten world.

So, we pushed through the cold and the pain in our feet, watching the sky turn dark completely while we neared the top of the hill. Maybe it was the cold and the exhaustion, but reaching the top felt like it took hours. But, seeing from the position of the stars above us, it couldn't have taken more than 20 minutes.

When we finally reached the top, Sp00n gasped and pointed ahead of us.

"There! The city!"

I followed his pointing hand and my eyes widened at the sight. From up this hill we had the perfect view of a small valley, and not too far away from us there were hundreds of lights bunched up together.

"Lights? They have electricity in this city?" Mark asked, sounding just as amazed as I felt just looking at the city from up here.

"They do. It's the best safe haven out there, I can't believe we're finally here!" Sp00n exclaimed, clapping his hands together and nearly jumping up and down in excitement.

"Then why haven't we heard of it before?" Scott asked. I was confused as well. If this was the best safe haven in this world, how come none of us had ever heard of it before?