37.

Though I'd stayed awake and anxious the remainder of the night, I hadn't seen nor heard the ghoul again. Neither had I heard any screams or gunshots, which was probably a good sign.

The sun had come up a while ago, so thanks to the sun I now had a decent indication of where to go. Although I had to admit I was scared of what I'd find if I'd climb down, I realized I had no other option. I couldn't just stay here and wait forever. The sooner I found my friends, the better.

Slowly climbing out of the tree, while mostly ignoring the pain in my feet and side, I let out a soft sigh as soon as I felt the steady ground underneath me. My feet still felt sore, so I just hoped I wouldn't have a reason to have to run.

There were some infected around me, but I was in no mood to deal with them, so I just quietly snuck around them and started walking north. It was hard keeping all the negative thoughts out of my head, especially when I remembered to purposely avoid taking the route where I'd last seen Entoan and Dlive, but I tried my best at focusing on finding the others. The rest of the group was okay, I knew they were. They had to be okay.

The forest was eerily silent, no birds chirping or leaves ruffling in the wind, and I was starting to think the world was doing this to mock me in a way. I had nothing but my thoughts to focus on and I wasn't paying as much attention to my surroundings as I probably should.

I was tired, scared, hungry and thirsty all at the same time and it was too much for my mind to process at once. I just wanted the ability to rewind to where it went wrong. To where we still had the chance to escape from the ghoul.

My jacket was way too thin for this weather. Unfortunately, I was right yesterday, and it was indeed colder than usual this early morning. Mixing this with the fact that I hadn't eaten anything because I didn't have any of my supplies on me, my body was completely freezing up and I didn't have enough energy to stay warm. I had to go inside somewhere or I would literally freeze to death.

I forced myself to keep walking, my hand clutching my knife tightly, but shaking nonetheless. Dodging some more infected that were huddled around something, my foot got stuck behind a tree branch and I let out a yelp before falling on the ground, landing on the leaves that were completely frozen. I didn't think any of the infected had heard me, but it was probably a smart idea to leave before they would notice me.

I barely had enough energy to push myself up from the ground, because all my mind and body wanted was to just lay down and sleep, but I couldn't just give up because of the cold. After surviving a chase with a ghoul, I wasn't going to let winter beat me. That would be such a lame way to go.

Although the sun was slowly rising farther in the sky as time passed, the weather made no indication of changing, which meant I was going to be stuck in this cold for a while. I was dragging my feet at this point, not even bothering to lift them the slightest bit, but I simply didn't have the energy to do that. This was such a terrible situation and I hadn't been in such a shitty mood in a long while; I felt like screaming and punching things and I probably would if it weren't for the lack of energy.

My heart ached at the thought of the others being hurt. Or worse, killed like Entoan and Dlive. Losing two of my friends this night was painful enough already, I didn't want to lose more. And one thing was for certain, I wouldn't know what to do if Felix had been killed by the ghoul as well. Or Russ. Or Scott. Or anyone for that matter. It made me wonder why we were forced to live in a world as horrible as this one.

I hadn't even noticed my breathing sped up and I was now hyperventilating quite a bit, which was the worst possible thing to happen right now. I was feeling lightheaded and could barely keep myself upright, having to lean against trees to keep myself standing, but at the same time not wanting to remove my arms from my sides because it was so incredibly cold.