1.

I pulled my backpack higher on my shoulder, making sure it wouldn't slide off when I wasn't paying attention. I sighed, looking up at what I could see of the sky through the large trees, narrowing my eyes against the bright sunlight. Today was an extremely sunny day and I had been walking for hours, resulting in me being overheated in a matter of minutes.

I stopped walking and - after making sure there weren't any infected around - sat down on the ground, taking my backpack and opening it. I rummaged through my belongings until I found what I wanted; my water bottle. I opened it and lifted my mask enough to be able to drink from it. I made sure I had enough to keep myself going, at the same time making sure I would have some water left in case I didn't find more.

It was when I put my bottle back in my backpack and readjusted my mask when I heard something in the distance. I froze and looked up, listening closely.

Voices.

I pushed myself up from the ground — swinging my old backpack over my shoulder — and sneaked towards the direction the voices came from, careful to make little to no sound at all. I hadn't seen people in hours.

"North? I thought we were going to see if Max was still alive?" I heard a woman's voice. She sounded surprised.

"I know, honey. It's just that.. It's getting too dangerous. I just want the best for us, you know that, right?" another voice spoke up. It sounded like it was just the two of them, probably husband and wife. I made sure to keep my eyes open in case I could see them anywhere.

"It isn't safe to go north either, Will. What makes you think it's saver? What about Max?"

"Max will have to wait."

I suddenly saw the two of them walking through the trees and I quickly hid behind some bushes. They both had backpacks and, from what I could see from this distance, only the man, Will, had a gun. I wouldn't mind getting my hands on that pistol.

"We promised him! We promised we'd go find him!" the woman said loudly. Will gave her a warning look.

"Keep it down! You'll attract infected!" he whisper-yelled, letting out a sigh shortly after. "Our main priority is to survive, alright? We won't survive if we go looking for someone's who's possibly dead."

"Don't say that! Max is strong, he isn't dead," the woman protested. She sounded tired, making me think they had been walking for quite a while now. It probably won't be that hard to overpower them.

I slowly got up from my crouching position, sneaking closer towards the two. They were too busy talking to even notice me. I took my knife in my hand, twirling it around mindlessly, and got behind the two. Within a second, I ran towards them and held the knife against the woman's throat. She screamed and the man shakily pulled his gun. I was right. This was going to be easy.

"Drop the gun, " I growled. Will's eyes widened and he slowly lowered the gun, putting it down on the ground and raising his hands.

"Kick it towards me," I said and the man obeyed, kicking the gun towards me. I pushed the woman away from me and quickly picked up the gun, wasting no time in aiming it at the two.

"Now give me your backpacks."

The two shared a glance. The woman was close to tears. They were way too weak to live in this rotten world.

"Please, they're all we have and-" the man started, but I immediately cut him off, "Backpacks. Now."

They slowly took off their backpacks and threw them in my direction, making me smile. This was so easy.

I opened the backpacks and took out everything I needed, making sure to threaten the couple every now and then to make sure they wouldn't do anything stupid. After I had completely emptied their bags of their food, weapons and bandages, I closed the bags and threw them back.

"See? That wasn't so hard, was it?" I taunted, swinging my own — now heavier — backpack over my shoulder. I started walking away, ignoring the man's pleads to stop and the woman's crying. They wouldn't last long anyway, so it was better to not let their stuff go to waste, wasn't it?

The two eventually disappeared from my sight and I looked up at the sun again. I still had approximately 4 hours of daylight, but that would be more than enough to find a place to sleep. I always slept in the trees anyway and, seeing I was in a forest, it wouldn't be too hard to find a good tree to climb.

Now, I didn't think I was a good survivor, but I was still alive, so that meant I was doing something right. I hadn't always gotten around by stealing from people, but now it was my way to get the necessities to live. It was easier to steal from people than to get it by searching abandoned houses or something stupid like that. No, I had given up on that method a while ago.

I heard the faint gargling of an infected nearby and I grabbed my knife once again. Not my gun, that would just be stupid. A gunshot could be heard from miles away in such a quiet forest. No, I'll only be using the gun to threaten people when necessary.

The two infected turned around as soon as they heard me. A small smile formed on my lips and I stabbed the first one through its head, killing it instantly. The second barely had time to react as I plunged my knife right through its neck, pulling it out and nearly severing its head in the progress. I stomped on its head to make sure it wouldn't be able to get up again.

I continued my walk through the forest. After about a five minute walk of complete nothingness, I froze in my tracks when I heard the bushes next to me move. I gripped my hunting knife — my knuckles turning white from how tightly I was holding it — and prepared myself to fight whatever would jump from those bushes.

Seconds seemed to have turned to minutes as I waited for something to attack me. The rustling got louder when suddenly a dog stepped out of the bushes, looking up at me with big eyes. I sighed in relief and lowered my knife. That dog wouldn't harm me.

Or so I thought.

I turned around to walk away from the dog, but realized I had made a mistake as soon as I heard a low growl. Before I had the chance to turn back around or raise my knife, I felt a stinging pain in my lower leg, making me scream out in pain. The dog dug its teeth deeper in my leg and pulled, making me fall on the ground. I used my hands to break the fall and — with my great luck — landed on my own knife with my right hand, creating a big cut. I sweared loudly and started kicking the dog with my good leg, which only made it bite deeper, and I tried to get a hold of something to stop the dog from dragging me any farther. When that didn't work, I quickly took off my backpack, opening it and searching for my gun. However, before I could find it, the dog let go of my leg and snatched the backpack away from me. I didn't even get the chance to yell something before it disappeared from my sight.

"Fuck!" I yelled, gripping my head in my hands. I knew what just happened. Someone had trained that dog to attack people and steal their stuff.

I began to feel the horrible pain in my leg and I looked down, shocked by all the blood that came from the wound. Oh no, this wasn't good at all. I was bleeding so badly and my bandages were in my backpack. Fuck.

I remembered that my knife was still somewhere on the ground and I looked around me — getting extremely dizzy from the sudden movement — and spotted it a few feet away from me. I used my arms to drag myself towards it, which proved to be harder than expected. My leg hurt like hell and moving didn't make it any better. The cut on my hand was bleeding pretty badly as well.

I reached out and touched the knife with my fingertips, resulting in me only pushing it farther away. My vision started getting blurry and I felt like all the energy in my body was suddenly gone. I fought to keep my eyes open, looking up at the sky above me, but I eventually gave in and everything went dark.

Yup, I'm doing this. I've been wanting to write this story for quite some time now, and I'm very excited for it! YAY.

- Sam.