22.

"Okay, so here's the plan," Scott said as soon as we had explained the empty fuel situation to the rest of the group. "I found some containers and gas cans in the church and after a quick search of the house, we found some tubes that come in handy for siphoning gas."

Jack made a confused noise and Mark snorted, making the green-haired boy glare at him in fake hatred.

"Siphoning gas is a method to get fuel using a plastic tube," Scott explained to the ones who were confused, holding up one of those tubes he was talking about. "We're going to use this method to get fuel for the car."

I had already used this method many times, so when Scott asked who had siphoned gas before, I raised my hand. Apparently, I wasn't the only one experienced in siphoning, because Snake, Dlive, Minx and Mark raised their hands as well. Scott seemed satisfied with this answer because he smiled and counted the gas cans and tubes.

"Alright, we're gonna need to split up into pairs. Let's make sure everyone is with a person who has siphoned gas before, just so no bad stuff happens," Scott continued. With 'bad stuff' he meant gas poisoning. Swallowing gasoline or breathing in its vapors is definitely not good. Although it is not immediately deadly to swallow a bit of gasoline, the lack of medication we can offer will eventually result into death.

"I say me and Snake are a group, Entoan and Dlive, Jack with Mark, Russ with Minx and Cry with Felix. Any objections? Okay, good." He sorted us into groups, not actually giving us the time to disagree. Felix tried to hide his smug smile as he walked over to me, holding a bright red gas can and a clear, plastic tube that was definitely not hygienic, but his smile was painfully obvious.

Great.

"You all know this by now but I cannot stress it enough. Do NOT activate any of the traps unless you have a death wish," Dlive said, pointing at us with a warning finger. Russ immediately got paler at the idea of exploding into a million pieces, swallowing hard and tightly gripping the tube he was holding. Minx actually had to take it from him because his grip almost snapped it.

After getting a final motivating speech from an exited Scott, all the pairs left the base and headed off to different directions. The mission: siphon gas until the can is full and then return to the base.

After the extremely awkward situation of that morning, the air felt tense as Felix and I sneaked through the little alleys, being on the watch for any traps. I had quickly noticed that Felix wasn't really good at spotting the traps, so after he had almost gotten pierced by an arrow for the third time I sighed and stop walking, giving him a glare.

"Watch out where you're walking. I'm not really planning to die by a fucking tripwire or landmine," I told him, crossing my arms over my chest. Felix frowned and raised his hands.

"Sorry, I'm having trouble spotting them," he apologized, though he sounded annoyed with me. "Why don't you lead the way then?"

"I will." I ended the conversation by turning back around and continuing the walk. All we had to do was find a fucking car that still had fuel in it and then we were out of here.

As I crouched underneath another thin wire that was probably connected to an explosive I began to think. Why were we doing this, exactly? Once we had all gathered fuel for the car, what came next? Will Dlive and Entoan just leave without as much as a thanks? Or will they invite us to come with them? I had no idea. This better not end with us stuck here in a city filled with traps and infected and surrounded by a forest with some kind of mutilated infected wandering about.

"Cry, over there," Felix's whisper shook me out of my thoughts. I looked back at him to see him pointing towards a small alley to our left. It was completely filled with zombies, but at the very end of the alley there was a dark blue car, the hood dented like it had just ran into something. It was the first car we had seen so far.