38.

I was basically dragging my feet only an inch above the ground, trying my hardest not to just give up on walking altogether. The only reason I was still walking was that Felix was still clinging on to me, his ankle hurting too bad for him to walk on. He relied on me right now, so giving up definitely wasn't an option. I shouldn't even consider giving up at all. We had to keep pushing forward.

"Russ will totally laugh at me for falling when we find him," Felix suddenly spoke up, his voice barely above a whisper. I smiled a little, appreciating how he'd said 'when' and not 'if'.

"Yeah, he totally will," I agreed, chuckling a little. "And he'll probably make another bad joke about shoes or something."

Felix nodded and looked up to the sunny sky. "Damn, I miss his jokes."

"Me too."

The both of us fell silent after that, the crunching leaves under our feet being the only source of noise around us. I heard Felix sigh, but he didn't speak up, just looking ahead of us with a faint smile on his face. I was about to ask him to share his thoughts when he decided to talk again, the silence probably becoming too much for him.

"Jund will probably be angry at us for disappearing like that," he said, but he still had the fond smile on his face. "He'll probably find a way to blame you for my sore ankle."

I laughed but instantly shook my head. "Nah, I don't think so. Scott and I are passed the point of our pointless fights."

"Yeah, I'm glad you two have gotten closer," Felix said sincerely.

"I am, too," I told him. "Though you have to admit he was a giant asshole to me at first."

Felix laughed. "He was a little bit of an asshole, yes."

"'A little bit'?" I copied his words, looking at him skeptically.

"Alright, alright. He was a huge dick to you," Felix finally admitted, his smile growing. "He only did it to protect the ones he cares about, though."

It was now that I saw him talk about Jund with such fondness that I realized Felix had a much stronger bond with the group than I had, because he'd known them for so much longer. I'd never asked him about when he'd joined he group and I was very curious about it, so after hesitating a little, I changed the subject.

"How did you and the group meet, exactly?" I asked, hoping I wasn't pushing a touchy subject or anything like that. The way Felix's eyes seemed to light up proved that it wasn't something difficult for Felix to talk about. That, or he was very good at hiding how difficult it may have been for him before he found the group.

"I stumbled upon Snake one day," he started his explanation. "I was completely out of any kind of supplies, wandering down the streets of a small town in search of food when I saw him come out of a house just behind me. You know how intimidating Snake looked, so when I saw him, I had to admit I was scared and I tried to jump out of his sight. I hadn't seen the zombie that was standing behind a dumpster, so right after I jumped to the side, the zombie grabbed me."

Completely engrossed in the story, I asked, "What happened then? Did Snake find you?"

"He did, yes. At first I believed it was some kind of miracle he showed up right when I needed him, but Snake later told me had long been aware of my presence and had decided to tail me to make sure I wasn't a threat," he said, chuckling a little at the memory. "My first impression of him was definitely wrong; I had no reason to be scared of someone so kind. He saved my life back then. Not only by killing the zombie, but also by taking me to Jund and allowing me to join them from that point on."