7.

Cry's P.O.V.

I quickly sat up, looking at my surroundings. It was in the middle of the night and I was lying in a forest. Why was I here? How did I get here?

The soft wind was cold and it made me shiver. I didn't remember the area, neither did I remember being outside in general. I became incredibly aware of my loud breathing and listened closely for any sounds.

I jumped when I heard someone groggily say my name, looking to my right. I felt my entire body relax once I saw who was next to me. All my worry was replaced with calmness and I let out a small sigh, smiling at the kind person next to me.

"Oh, hey Cheyenne," I greeted her, my smile growing when she rubbed her eyes and made a cute noise.

"Hey..." she mumbled, giving me half a smile. "Why are you awake?"

"I could ask you the same thing." I chuckled, giving her a kiss on her cheek. Just watching her made me feel so happy. With her, I had everything I needed - even if we lived in a rotten, horrible world.

She chuckled as well and stretched, pushing herself up from the ground. I rubbed my eyes and yawned, looking at Cheyenne, who was walking around in a silly way to stretch her sleeping legs.

"What are you looking at, jerk," she joked, giving me a playful glare. I faked shock and brought my hand to my chest, placing it where my heart would be.

"Can't I look at my girlfriend anymore these days?" I asked and Cheyenne immediately shook her head, a smile creeping on her face. I laughed and fake pouted, trying not to smile like an idiot.

I froze when I heard a sound behind her and listened closely. Did I hear movement just now?

"What's wrong? Did you-" Cheyenne didn't even get halfway through her sentence when an infected suddenly grabbed her shoulders from behind and bit her shoulder, tearing some of her flesh off. She screamed and I jumped up from the ground.

"NO! Cheyenne!" I screamed, seeing how the infected dug its teeth in her skin once again. She screamed in pain, trying to push the infected away, and tears streamed down her face. She begged for me to help her and I ran to our backpacks, taking out a small gun and shooting immediately, hitting the infected through its head. It fell on the ground and I was just in time to catch Cheyenne before she hit the ground as well.

"Fuck. Fuck, fuck, fuck!" I sweared loudly, brushing Chey's hair out of her face. Tears were streaming down my face and I looked at her through my blurry vision. There was a big chunk of skin missing from her neck and it was bleeding really badly. Her vision seemed hazy; like she was looking straight through me.

"Cry..?" I heard her mumble my name quietly and I tightly held her hand.

"I'm right here, babe," I told her, caressing her cheek with my other hand. She smiled slightly and leaned into my touch, slowly closing her eyes.

"I love you," she whispered.

"I love you too, Chey. Please, stay with me, okay? You're gonna be fine. Everything will be okay," I cried. I watched her eyes close fully and my breathing hitched in my throat. No, this couldn't be happening. This wasn't happening!

"Cheyenne?" I shook her a little, but she didn't respond.

"Please, don't leave me! I can't survive without you, please!" I begged her, shaking her fragile body, but whatever I did, she didn't respond. I started sobbing, leaning my forehead against hers.

"I love you so much, don't you dare do this to me." My voice broke and I was trembling, unable to stop sobbing. She couldn't be gone. She was way too strong to die like this. No, she would open her eyes soon and tell me that she was messing with me, right? That it was just a stupid joke.

Right?!

"Cry."

I vaguely heard a familiar voice but I ignored it. I needed to help Cheyenne. She needed me. I didn't want to let her go, I couldn't live without her by my side.

I tightly held her body in my arms, not ever wanting to let her go again. We had been through so much together. We had survived through so much shit. This couldn't possibly be the end of it!

"CRY!"

The loud voice startled me and I looked up, seeing my surroundings had changed. I was in a dark room, lying on the cold ground and hugging my knees to my chest. There were two people in front of me and it took me a second to remember who they were; Felix and Russ. Felix was crouched in front of me — his hand on my shoulder — while Russ was standing behind him. He looked scared and was trembling slightly.

"Cry, are you okay?" Felix asked. I didn't respond. Silent tears were still streaming down my face and I couldn't stop myself from shaking, slowly and unsteadily pushing myself up in a sitting position. I looked at the empty ground in front of me, where Cheyenne had been a minute ago, and started sobbing again.

She was gone.

I felt myself being pulled in a hug and immediately hugged the Swede back, clinging to him like he was the only thing keeping me on this earth.

"Shh, it's okay Cry. It was just a nightmare," Felix shushed me. If only it was just a nightmare. Unfortunately, it wasn't a simple nightmare, it was reality.

It had been ages since the last time I had this 'nightmare.' I thought I was finally over it; over her. I thought the memory had finally stopped haunting me. Clearly I was wrong.

It took me a long time to finally calm down, but I eventually stopped sobbing and pulled away from Felix. I reached my hand to my face and sighed in relief when I felt my mask. Thank god for that. At least I had the comfort of them not seeing my face right now.

Russ grabbed a bottle of water from his backpack and handed it to me, giving me a kind, reassuring smile. I gave him a weak smile back, although he wouldn't be able to see that.

I turned away from the two, lifting my mask enough for me to be able to drink. I drank some of the water and pulled my mask back down before I turned around again.

"Thank you..." I mumbled, shocked at how hoarse my voice sounded. Had I been screaming?

"Let's get you up from the ground," Felix said softly, picking me up from the ground and placing me on my bed. It was now that I had calmed down that I noticed the burning pain in my leg. How on earth did I manage to crawl all the way to the corner?

"Do you think you can sleep?" Russ asked and I immediately shook my head, hugging my knees again. I kept seeing images of the old memory. I couldn't get Cheyenne's voice out of my head and it was driving me crazy.

They both gave me worried looks and I felt guilty for keeping them awake, so I simply said, "Just go sleep. I'll be fine."

"Nope, not gonna happen. You clearly won't be fine. You just woke up screaming, for fuck sakes," Felix said, sitting down on my bed. I felt tears form in my eyes again and I shook my head, laying down and turning away from them.

"Go sleep, please?" I mumbled. It stayed quiet for a while but then I felt Felix get off my bed and he laid down on his own, Russ following his lead. I just hoped I didn't stop them from having their well deserved sleep. I covered my head with my arms, trying to feel somewhat safer, but kept my eyes open, knowing there was no way I would be able to sleep again.

'Every time I close my eyes
I dream that you're still here.
Every time I go to sleep
I scream cause you're not there.
This is my nightmare.'

- Sam