21.

I clung onto her body, the smell of blood nearly making me puke as I sobbed loudly. Shaking her, I screamed for her to wake up; to be strong and stay alive.

"Cheyenne, please. Don't you dare die on me!" I screamed, not caring if I only attracted more infected. She didn't open her eyes, though, and I hugged her close to me, tightly grabbing the fabric of her jacket.

"Please.. Don't leave me.. You're the only one I have left," I sobbed, unable to even see her anymore thanks to my tears, "I can't do this on my own."

"Just wake up." A voice told me. I shook my head, brushing my hand through Cheyenne's hair.

"I'd rather just die with you," I cried out, placing a soft kiss on her forehead and lowering her a little, looking around me for my gun. I spotted it a few feet away from me and, after carefully placing Cheyenne on the ground, stumbled over to it, snatching it from the wet leaves. As I raised the gun to look at it, I noticed my hand was shaking uncontrollably, almost to the point that I couldn't hold on to it anymore.

"Cry, please. Wake up." The voice came again but I ignored it, slowly raising the gun and placing it against my temple, trembling as I placed my finger on the trigger. I took a deep, slow breath and pressed my eyes shut, dropping onto my knees.

"Cry!"

It was the moment I forced my eyes to open again that I noticed I was no longer in the forest, with the cold barrel harsly pressed against my skin. As I noticed Felix inches away from my face, I got a strong sense of deja vu, thinking back to the last time this exact thing had happened.

"Thank god, you're awake," Felix whispered, letting out a sigh of relief. I tried to stop hyperventilating but it wasn't working very well, my breathing coming out fast and short no matter how much I tried to calm down.

"Hey, listen to me. You're fine, breathe with me, okay?" Felix grabbed my shoulders and I looked up at him, trying to match my breathing with his'. It took me a while but it eventually worked, my breathing slowing down to a more comfortable speed and my tears coming to a stop. When I raised my hand to adjust my mask, I realized I was not wearing it anymore. It must've fallen off because I was moving too much.

It surprised me it bothered me so little. Normally, whenever someone — didn't matter who — was able to see my face, I would panic and hide as quickly as possible. But not this time. Not with Felix.

I took a minute to quickly look around, seeing me and Felix were the only ones awake. How had no one else woken up? I mean, hadn't I screamed in my sleep?

Almost as if reading my thoughts, Felix answered my question, "I figured you wouldn't really want to wake everyone up, so I tried my best to keep you from screaming or something like that.." He scratched the back of his head and sighed, shifting his position on the ground. Just like last time, I had managed to crawl all the way to the wall without waking up, which was quite an accomplishment to be honest.

I pushed myself up from the ground, using the wall as support because I was feeling incredibly lightheaded. Wiping my eyes from the tears, I felt Felix's eyes on me the entire time I stood there so I turned to look at him, seeing him stare with a worried look in his eyes.

"I'll get you some water. You need to drink something," he said, quickly standing up and marching towards the stairs that led back to the main room where we had left our backpacks.

"I-It's okay, really." I stopped him, shaking my head a little and wincing when that hurt my head as well.

"You call that okay?" he said skeptically, crossing his arm over his chest and raising his eyebrow.