19.

“We're almost there, just a little farther!” Scott yelled from the front of the group, looking back at us over his shoulder.

“Finally! My feet are killing me.” Russ sighed. Felix chuckled a little, making Russ pout at him, “You're mean.”

“I try.” Felix joked, earning a playful glare from the brown-haired boy.

I heard Minx chuckle softly, making me look at her. She hadn't laughed in a while, so hearing that chuckle was like hearing angels sing — I'm not even exaggerating when I say that — and that made me smile.

After Krism's death, we left to reunite with the group in case that thing was still walking around. It was absolutely heartbreaking to have to pull Minx away from her wife's corpse, sobbing and hyperventilating while begging for death to take her as well. I swear I almost completely broke down as well, but the only thought stopping that from happening was that I knew Minx needed someone to be strong for her.

After finding the others — who were all smart enough not to ask questions about where Krism went — we left the forest and took the quickest route to the nearest city.

What I did notice, was that ever after the accident, Minx's personality had taken a huge turn. She went from brave and bubbly to scared and quiet. I also noticed she has been avoiding me at all costs. It made me feel so extremely horrible. I was certain she blamed me for her wife's death. If only I had gotten the branches quicker, or I hadn't accidentally slipped and hit Krism's leg, maybe she would still be alive right now.

“Hey, Cry.” A voice got my attention and I shook out of my thoughts, looking up to see Felix.

“Hey.” I greeted him with a little wave. He looked hesitant for a second but then softly grabbed my arm, pulling us behind the group a little.

“We need to talk.” He said quietly, letting go of my arm and avoiding eye contact. I groaned internally, knowing exactly what he wanted to talk to me about — the kiss.

The both of us had avoided the subject ever since it happened. Well, actually, I think I was the only one avoiding the subject and Felix hadn't gathered up the courage to ask me about it. Until now.

“What about?” I decided to play dumb, looking straight ahead of me. I felt his eyes staring me down but ignored it.

“You know exactly what I want to talk about, don't play stupid.” He said, sounding exaggerated. I was a little surprised by his tone, but I quickly forgot about that and sighed, giving in.

“Yeah, I do.” I nodded a little, “It's about the kiss.”

Felix nodded but stayed silent. He wanted to say something, but didn't quite know how, and I wasn't planning on breaking this silence any time soon.

Felix started talking again, “Why are y-”

“Guys, look over there!” Jack said, pointing at something in front of us. I mentally thanked him for ending this awkward conversation and followed his gaze, noticing that above the treeline, in the distance, some kind of tower poked out. A smile appeared on my face and I heard Russ cheer, jumping up and down and smiling at Scott, who laughed and nodded.

“Yup, we're finally there.” He said with a proud smile, quickening his pace. I took this as a great opportunity and mumbled something incoherent to Felix, quickly jogging after the excited guy we called our leader.

As we got closer to the building I realized that it was an old church. It wasn't necessarily the church that we as a group had been looking for, but the church meant there was a city nearby. We just wanted to get out of the forest after what had happened.