34.

Felix’s P.O.V.

I sighed and looked at the way the rain hit the glass door, slowly dribbling down and leaving small, watery tracks. Russ and Cry were both sitting against the wall, their eyes closed and a peaceful look on their faces. It made me smile a little, seeing the two of them so calm, but thanks to an extremely loud thunder, Russ jumped and opened his eyes again.

“I hope the weather settles down soon,” I said while glancing outside and he nodded, looking at me.

“Yeah, same here.” He shifted his position a little. “We need to get back to the group as soon as possible.”

I glanced around the small store, seeing there were still some things lying around on some shelves. Russ – having followed my gaze – stood up from the ground and stretched a little, his back popping. I cringed and he laughed, apologizing but continuing cracking his neck anyway. I looked at Cry to see his eyes were still closed and he was breathing calmly.

“Is Cry sleeping?” I asked Russ. He stopped abusing his bones and looked down at him, smiling and nodding.

“Yeah, looks like he is.”

“Good.” I nodded as well. “He hasn’t been sleeping a whole lot lately. He insists on keeping watch all night.”

Russ’ smile seemed to falter a little and he sighed softly. “It seems like his injury still hurts.”

“How so?” I asked, genuinely curious what he meant. Had he noticed something I hadn’t?

“I’ve noticed he’s hurt at times, like when he helps Jund carry sticks for the campfire,” he said, looking at him with a worried expression. “It happened just now on the street. He suddenly winced and grabbed his side.”

So that was what happened. I knew Cry couldn’t quite keep up with the speed we were running in, but I thought it was just that; he couldn’t keep up after not having moved a lot for such a long period of time thanks to his recovery. I had no idea the injury still bothered him this much. It shouldn’t still bother him this much. Not after such a long time.

“I’m kind of afraid it’s–” Russ suddenly stopped, hesitant to continue for some reason. He couldn’t just stop there, though.

“It’s what?” I urged him, furrowing my eyebrows. He bit his lip and looked at Cry, staying quiet for a few more seconds before letting out a tired sigh.

“I’m afraid it’s permanent,” he finished, causing me to look down at the ground in thought. Did he really think the pain he still felt was permanent..? It made sense in a way. The wound should’ve already fully healed by now. He shouldn’t still be in pain. But to think it was permanent? That would mean Cry would never be able to do as much as he used to without being hurt. It would mean Cry now had a disability to deal with.

 Russ muttered something incoherent and walked over to me, holding his hand out. I took it and he helped me up.

“Let’s check out the store,” he said, wanting to get off this topic. He walked towards some shelves and started looking through the few things that were still lying on them. I did the same, glancing at Cry to make sure he was still asleep before heading towards the other side of the little store, picking up a few cans. The smell that came from them was absolutely horrifying, making me scrunch up my nose in disgust. I soon found out why, looking at the cut in the side of the can, where rotten food had poured out all over the shelf.

“Gross..” I muttered to myself, checking to see if any of the cans were left untouched. Unfortunately, all of them had already been opened or had been cut open by some kind of knife, which meant this store had already been raided. That left like a 0.1% chance we’d find something useful in here.