14.

I looked into the security post, noticing the guard was gone. I winced at the sound of a woman screaming and tried to open the door. It was no use, the guard had locked it. I could see that the door on the other side was open, so if I could find another way in, I could get to my knife.

There was another explosion and the smell of blood mixed with smoke reached my nostrils. Why were there bombs going off inside? What was happening? Were my friends okay?

I noticed there were zombies everywhere, trying to break the wall or climb over. When I looked to my left, I saw a huge gap in the wall, where the zombies were able to easily find their way into the once protected city. One of the bombs that went off must've destroyed it. I waited until the zombies were inside before quickly running towards the gap, pushing myself through and scanning my surroundings.

There was fire surrounding me. All the houses that seemed so lovely were now burning to the ground. I heard screams coming from everywhere and I shivered, shaking my head and focusing on why I was here. The group. Get to the group.

I heard a low growl behind me and quickly turned around, seeing there were even more zombies coming this way. I quickly jumped forward and sneaked towards the security post, going inside and pulling at the drawer. It wouldn't budge.

"Fuck," I muttered, remembering that the guard had the keys around his neck. That meant there was no way I could get my knife. How was I ever going to find the group without any weapon for safety?

I was about to leave the security post when I heard gunshots and cheering, so I stumbled back inside, crouching behind the wall and just listening. There were more gunshots and the sound of people chanting. They were chanting a name.

"Duncan, Duncan, Duncan!" I carefully peeked around the corner, seeing a bunch of people wearing black hoodies and masks. The masks were terrifying; they seemed to be made of skin. One eye was stitched shut, while the other was just a hole with black fabric behind it, a thick, dark substance leaking down from it. The mouth was stuck in a huge grin, more of the weird substance dripping down around it. It made me shiver and I quickly looked away. I really hoped that dark substance wasn't blood.

They stopped cheering and I could hear them talking about something. I was too far away to be able to actually make out any words, so I peeked around the corner once again to see what they were doing. It was like they didn't have a care in the world, talking to each other and killing all zombies that came too close to them. I had no doubt in my mind that these guys were the ones who blew up the city.

They just seemed to be talking and laughing when two of them suddenly gave each other a high five before mentioning to the group to follow them. They were headed in my direction.

Shit.

I quickly scrambled up from behind the wall and searched around the room for a place to hide. Why on earth did they make the security post so damn small?! In my panic I tried to open the drawer and the door once again, but of course they were both still locked. What now? I had nowhere to go and these masked people were coming closer. I had no other choice than to just stand there and wait for them to get here.

Or so I thought.

"Cry, over here!" I heard a small voice whisper from next to me and I jumped, turning to see blond locks. It was Davon. He pushed the chair from the guard out of the way and revealed that he had made a small opening in the thin wall of the post. Davon was covered in mud and he had red, puffy eyes. I wasted no time in taking his hand and allowing him to lead me through the opening and away from the security post.

"Davon, are you okay? Where are your mom and sister?" I asked once we were far enough away from the masked people. The buildings around us were already completely destroyed by the flames.