4.

We watched Scott and Snake closely as they crossed the street, careful not to get close to any infected. Krism was holding her breath most of the time, only letting it go once they had reached the other side of the street and were hidden in the tree line.

"You two go next," Felix said and Minx nodded, looking at Krism. She took a deep breath and nodded as well, following her wife towards the highway. I made sure to watch them closely in case anything went wrong. I wouldn't even be able to do anything, but I could warn Russ and Felix. That wasn't even necessary though, because they were watching out for the two just as much as I was, probably even more as they had known each other for a longer time.

I heard Felix gasp when an infected came very close to Minx. She quickly hid Krism behind her, being the protecting wife she was, and ducked behind the car as much as possible. I saw she took out a small knife from her pocket, patiently waiting for the infected to make a move. It seemed to almost sniff the air like a dog and then slowly turned around. I was relieved to see it walk away from the two again, allowing them to safely reach the tree line as well.

Now it was our turn.

"How much weight can you put on your leg?" Russ asked me, giving me a worried look. He seemed pale and a bit scared.

"I can't stand on my own yet, but other than that I should be able to crouch and move quickly." Lies. My leg still hurt like hell, but I didn't want to worry them even more. I could deal with the pain. I just wanted to get to the others safely.

Felix made sure to stay by my side to support me as much as he could while Russ went in front of us. We reached the highway and slowly started crossing, using as many car wrecks to hide behind as possible. Everything went pretty smoothly, but when we were about halfway I accidently hit my wounded leg against an open car door and I winced in pain, swearing.

"Are you okay?" Felix immediately asked and Russ quickly looked around at us. I nodded, wincing again when I had to move my leg. I almost got a heart attack when I looked at Russ..

An infected was standing right behind him, but neither him or Felix were paying attention. They were both still focused on me. Time seemed to slow down as I pushing myself up with my good leg and slamming the infected's head on a sharp part on the trunk of the car, nearly splitting it into two pieces. I was now balancing on one leg and I quickly used the car as support. The cut on my hand started bleeding again.

"Wow, dude," Russ said, being in total shock. His skin was so pale; it looked like he was about to puke.

"Guys, we gotta go," Felix said, sounding panicked. I looked around us and saw the rest of the infected were limping in our direction. Shit.

I didn't even have the chance to say anything when Felix lifted me around my waist and started running to the tree line, Russ running a little bit ahead of us. We spotted the others and we all ran through the forest, dodging the trees and bushes, until we were far enough away. Infected weren't that fast anyway.

"What.. The.. Fuck.. Happened...?" Scott asked through his breaths, leaning with his hands on his knees to catch his breath. Felix put me down, but maybe a little bit too quickly because I almost screamed in pain when I stood on my leg and I immediately fell on the ground.

"Shit, sorry," Felix apologised, letting himself fall on the ground as well.

"I asked you a fucking question, masky." Scott glared at me. I was so fucking done with this guy.

"What happened? You're asking me what fucking happened?! I saved Russ' life dammit, that's what happened! If you had just given me my fucking knife back I could've stabbed him without making a noise, preventing the other infected from hearing us, but no. You just had to fucking keep my knife, didn't you, you fucking asshole," I screamed, my hands formed in tight fists. Everyone seemed taken aback by my reaction and it stayed quiet for a little while. I guess they didn't expect me to start screaming. Scott eventually broke the silence by scoffing.