26.

Felix's P.O.V.

With a loud 'bang', the truck swerved across the street and into the bushes before Scott hit the brakes in a panic. Cry hastily grabbed the car to stop himself from falling out and looked towards the front of the truck.

I heard glass shatter and I jumped once again, turning and peeking around the cabin of the vehicle. The window right next to Scott was completely broken, and I saw that Scott's arm was covered in scratches from protecting his face from the sharp glass.

"Quick, get behind cover!" Snake yelled and my mind suddenly sprang into action. Jack and Cry both jumped out of the truck immediately, and it was now that I noticed Mark had fallen on the street a little to our left. He quickly scrambled up and hid behind some rocks, carefully peeking at something across the street from us. I decided to follow his gaze and gasped loudly at what I saw. There were at least a dozen of hunters, either sniping or running at us.

I saw Cry held out his hand for me and I quickly took it, allowing him to help me jump out of the truck. He helped Russ in the same way and then sneaked towards the back of the vehicle.

"Hunters in the treeline! Get behind cover!" Dlive repeated Snake's orders as he grabbed his rifle, aiming at the approaching hunters. I mirrored his actions and grabbed my crossbow. I looked back at Cry and saw him peek passed the car, visibly tensing up when he spotted the hunters. I tore my gaze away from him and walked towards Scott instead, who was still holding his bleeding arm with a concentrated expression on his face.

"Are you alright?" I asked him. His head shot up towards me and he quickly nodded, letting go of his arm and grabbing his gun. He also made sure his knife was within easy reach.

I looked back, expecting to see Cry right behind me, but instead, he was staring at Mark, pulling his knife out of the pocket of his coat. Not even a second later, he jumped up from his spot and ran towards the rocks Mark was hiding behind.

"Cry, stay behind cover!" I yelled at him but he ignored me, reaching Mark and pulling him on his feet. He yelled something to him that I couldn't hear over the loud gunshots and Mark nodded, running towards us. He made it behind the truck without getting shot and Jack quickly checked whether he was okay, pulling him in a hug shortly after.

I noticed Cry hadn't returned to behind the truck yet and I frowned, looking at him still ducked behind the rocks, when he suddenly stood up and did something unexpected; he ran away.

"Fuck, Cry!" I yelled after him, "Cry!"

I was about to stand up and run after him when I saw why he had fled in the first place. Four hunters jumped over the rocks — looking at us for a mere second — and kept running, chasing after Cry.

Peeking over the back of the truck, I saw Dlive had managed to hit two of the sniping hunters already, but there were still two others shooting at us from afar, which meant I couldn't chase after Cry just yet. I sweared out loud but aimed my crossbow towards the street. I wouldn't be able to hit the ones sniping us — as the range of my crossbow wasn't good enough — so I would have to leave that to Dlive.

I fired an arrow at a nearing hunter, hitting him in the shoulder. I was surprised to see he barely flinched, running even quicker towards us. Scott fired at him with his own gun and hit him in his chest, making him gasp and slowly fall on the ground, coughing and in panic.

At this point, the other hunters had reached us. They fearlessly ran around the truck and started attacking the ones closest to them; Snake on one side and Jack on the other. I tried aiming at the girl who was attacking Jack but they were moving too much, so I put my crossbow away and grabbed the small knife I always kept with me.