29.

I let out a soft yawn, carefully stretching my arms and hugging my jacket closer to my body. I heard Snake move a little and quickly glanced over to him from my position on the ground, seeing he was still peacefully sleeping in the corner of the small cell, his back and head resting against the two walls. I had finally managed to convince him to take the blanket and get a good night's sleep, though he'd put up quite the argument about it. The blanket was too small for the both of us, but Snake kept insisting I needed rest so I should keep it. This time however, I finally got him to take it and sleep.

We'd been stuck here for about a week, although I couldn't be sure. I'd mostly been sleeping since I was here so I had lost all sense of time. I didn't know why exactly, but my body was definitely struggling to repair the damage the stab wound had caused. I could never stop shaking, even when I wasn't at all cold; I was tired 24/7 and sometimes passed out in the middle of a conversation; my hands were always clammy and my breathing often came out fast and uncontrolled.

I was a bit worried about that to be honest, and I could tell Snake was as well. The symptoms of blood loss shouldn't last this long. It had been a week, my body should've just returned to functioning properly by now, so why wasn't it?

I had asked Snake about why the fuck I wasn't better yet, but he was unsure as well. The only thing I could come up with is that because of my lack of care about myself lately, I had pushed my health back so far that it was now causing me trouble. I simply didn't have the required amount of energy to let my body heal fully.

I let out a frustrated sigh and used my arms to push me up from the ground, wincing a little at the movement. My stitches weren't removed yet because it had only been about a week. For a wound this size, the stitches would have to stay for a while longer, so I'd remove them then. If I'm still breathing at that point, that is.

Although I had heard millions of stories about hunters, nothing really seemed to fit this current situation. Hunters were merciless, violent and had a craving for blood. That was what I had heard, anyway. These hunters however, hadn't even laid a finger on either one of us so far. Well, Sp00n had, but that was an exception. No one here had tried to hurt us while we were locked in this cell, which was peculiar. Why would they keep us alive? What use did we have for them? We weren't of any use, so why didn't the hunters just get rid of us? Was it the fun of having prisoners? I wasn't complaining, of course; I'd rather be confused then dead.

My head shot up when I heard a loud metal clank coming from the hallway, followed by footsteps in our direction. I was certain it was Sp00n — he was the only one actually talking to us from time to time — but I was proven wrong when only a few seconds later, a girl appeared in front of the cell, a small smile on her lips. She didn't seem unfriendly so I wasn't particularly worried. I just stared at her as she took a key from the pocket of her black jacket, unlocking the cell door and slowly walking in, closing the door behind her.

“I was sent to check on you.” She looked straight at me, the smile still evident on her face. I frowned a little and quickly glanced at Snake, seeing he was still fast asleep.

“Check on me?” I mumbled, frowning at her. I noticed she had a small scar right above her eyebrow, but other than that, her face was flawless. She had long, blonde hair and green eyes, which were staring straight into mine.

“Yes.” Was all she said, chuckling a little as she walked closer to me. I tensed up a little when she crouched down in front of me and her smile suddenly disappeared. Her face immediately seemed less kind, her features strict and her eyes narrowed.

“Who are you?” I decided to ask, really wanting her to back off and give me more space. She smiled again, but it wasn't the same smile as before; it was taunting.

“Call me Lily.”

“Who sent you to check on me?” I was a lot more worried now that her whole posture had changed in a matter of seconds, but I still dared to ask her more questions.

“My boss.” She said. “You were stabbed 6 days ago. You're not supposed to be alive right now, so I'm here to see why you're still breathing.”

The way she said it made me shiver and I glared at her, standing my ground. I couldn't let her find out Sp00n had saved my life by stitching the wound, because he had done that against all rules. If she were to find out, Sp00n would be dead by morning. I couldn't let that happen to him.

“Maybe your friend just needs to learn how to properly stab someone.” I said casually, shrugging my shoulders.

“Don't bullshit me.” Lily snapped, her hands forming into tight fists. I saw something move behind her and noticed Snake was awake and looking at me with a mixture of confusion and worry.

“Why are you not fucking dead?!” She suddenly grabbed my arm and stood up, harshly pulling me with her. Her nails dug into my skin and I winced, trying to push her off of me but failing as standing was taking all of my focus. My legs felt weak and I was shaking a lot, so I basically had to hold on to Lily to keep my balance.

Snake shot up to help me, but one glare of Lily was all it took to make him stop dead in his tracks. He did stay close to the two of us so he could jump between us if needed.

The girl turned back to me and reached towards my side, making me instinctively slap her hand away from me. She immediately pushed me against the wall, holding the collar of my shirt into her clenched fist. Snake took a step forward and the girl snapped at him to back off, making him stop once again. I wasn't sure whether she had any weapons on her, but she was a hunter so I was pretty certain she did.

I couldn't do anything as she finally managed to lift my shirt, revealing the stitched wound. We all fell quiet and her eyes widened visibly, first glancing up to me, then to Snake, and then back at me. She let go of my shirt and I had to grab to bars of the cell to stop myself from falling. She looked at me for a few more seconds before quickly turning her head and glaring at Snake.

“How the fuck did you manage to stitch up his wound without-” She suddenly stopped herself, seemingly realizing what had happened. She muttered a swearword and stepped closer to Snake. “Who the fuck helped you?!”

Snake just glared back at her and kept his mouth shut, not wanting to rat Sp00n out. Neither of us wanted him to get killed because of us.

“Fucking answer me!” She yelled, taking another step and punching Snake straight in the face, making him stumble back a bit while holding his jaw in his hands. I pushed myself away from the bars and quickly ran towards him, ignoring Lily and asking him if he was okay.

“Yeah, I'm good.” He muttered. I turned back to face Lily only to see she was now standing outside, having locked the door again. Fucking coward. She grinned and gave us a small wave.

“I'll be back, boys.”

With that, she walked off and disappeared from our sight, her footsteps eventually fading away as well.