Chapter 12

Vanessa POV

"Looks like they're in a good mood."Tam whispered as we watched mom and mama interact with each other this bright early morning.

They were both smiling and when I awoke this morning, I couldn't find Mama. When I looked in her room, she wasn't there. So I went to Momma's room, I found them both sprawled out under the covers. I could tell they had just gotten done doing the nasty because of the smell of the room when I walked in, the sheets were rolled all over the floor and so was their pajamas.

Now, we were all downstairs eating break fast in the kitchen. My favorite; bacon, buttered eggs and rice, toast fresh out the pan and sausage. After breakfast, I had to leave the house so Tam and my moms could set up the back yard for my getogether. It was a small one, just Malaysia, Markus, Mynetta, Tam's friend Ryn, and Jordan, a guy I met yesterday at the mall. Just eight people, including me, nine.

So far, my birthday is off to great start. My parents are back on track with their marriage, I'm guessing and later, Mynetta is taking me on a date. Then later tonight, a party put together by my classmates and friends at some club, I'm attending.

I stuffed my face with food and gulped down my orange juice until my plate and glass were empty. I left the table and raced upstairs to get ready for my date. I don't know where we're going so I guess I'll just dress casual.

I skipped the make up for this date and pulled my hat off my head

I skipped the make up for this date and pulled my hat off my head. I unwrapped my hair and brushed my bob down to my shoulders. I pulled my glasses off and stuck a pair of light grey contacts into my eyes. The colored contacts I have, make me look more exotic than I already am, it reels strangers in.

I pulled on a pair of black and white shoes, then gave myself a once over in the full length mirror that hung from my closet door.

As soon as I grabbed my phone off the charger, it dinged with a imessage from Mynetta. I unlocked the phone and went to our text history to see what she said.

❤️: babe!
Sorry but ima have to cancel

Me: cancel? Me ? On my birthday? For what and why?

I damn near dropped the phone when she said that. Cancel our date on my birthday, are you fucking serious. She can't be serious. Her name is an emoji because of the way she makes me feel. But it's about to change if she really canceled on me. Omg...

❤️: Caleb caught the flu, I gotta stay home with him while my parents are on vacation

Fuck you mean the flu?, I thought. The flu? In the middle of September, really ?

Me: oh, um okay😔bye

I saw the three bubbles pop up telling me that she was typing but I didn't care to wait. Mynetta has got to be joking with me right now. Caleb, her little brother is fifteen. He's perfectly capable of taking care of himself for a little while until she gets back.

Man, whatever.

I can't believe she really just told me this bullshit. After I done got dressed and did my hair. My happy mood instantly fell when I exited the messages app and closed the phone. I dragged myself off of the bed and went to the bathroom connected to my room. I picked up the brush, getting ready to wrap my hair back up. I could feel my eyes watering, I wanted to cry. But I refuse to cry on my birthday. I've got my parents and that's really all I wanted for my birthday to begin with. How does a person just catch the flu out of the middle of nowhere. Ugh, I can not.

I managed to get as far as wrapping my whole head before my phone started ringing. I was going to let it ring then send it to voicemail but I decided against that idea. It could be important.

I slowly trudged over to my bed and picked it up. Mynetta was calling. I answered the phone and pressed it to my left ear, which had diamond earrings going up in a line from my earlobe to the cartilage. "What?"I asked, dryly. I'm pissed but I won't show it.

"What you doing, bae?"

"I'm not your bae."I decided to be petty and not answer her questions.

"See why you act like that. You is my bae 'cause nobody want ya ugly ass."She laughed. Why the hell is she ha-ha keking like everything is okay...

I pulled the phone from my ear and looked at it. I pressed the end call button and threw the phone down. What the hell is wrong with this chick? Today is not the day to play with my feelings.

Before I could even sit the phone down, a new text came in from her.

❤️: bring ya fine ass outside ma

I didn't bother texting back. I went straight to the bathroom and unwrapped my hair, then went downstairs.

"Why you did that?"I snapped after closing and locking the front door. She was leaning up against her clean white Toyota RAV4 with a big ass glittery box that had a pink bow wrapped around it, in her hands.

"Chill ma—."

"Is that for me?"I asked rhetorically. I know that big ass box is for me. "Yeah."She replied. I reached for it but she snatched it back. "Whea my kiss at?"

I smacked my lips but still leaned in and pecked her lips. Mynetta and I aren't official but it's like, i don't know... I can't explain it but the both of us know how we feel about each other. We just haven't put a title on it yet. It was a quick peck, she knew not to linger. I don't see myself engaging in any sexual acts for a long time because of what happened to me. I've healed from it physically but not emotionally or mentally. That's something I don't think I can ever get over, like really be done with the situation. It's something I think about everyday out of hatred for those two that did this to me. I can't participate in any other acts until I can get that thought all the way out of my mind. Celibacy it is.

It was a quick peck, didn't last more than three seconds. "Now gimme my gift."I snatched the box from her and sat it on the nose of her car. I ripped the bow and wrapping paper off to find a plain black box. "The fuck is this?"I asked opening the box to see another box. Really? Box inna box gift! "I hate you son."I joked, removing the third box. After two minutes, I finally got to the last box and was just about to open it when Mynetta tapped me.

"Wait a minute."I held my finger to her as I went to open the last box. Before I could get a good look at what was inside, she snatched the gift from my hands.

"Girl what the fuck wrong witchu?"I screamed. I spun around to see a bouquet of flowers in her hand. Where did those flowers come from?

"You starting to piss me off wit' allat Dream."Mynetta started, using my fake name. She didn't know my real name, nobody in Detroit knew; except Tam and my moms. "Take the damn flowers bruh."She shoved them my way. She looked past me then down at the ground beneath the two of us. I sat the flowers on the nose of her car and held her face in my hands.

"What's wrong?"I asked, staring into her eyes.

She folded her arms against her chest. "Do you wanna be my girlfriend or not?"

Cliffhangerrr!...

C. Baby