Chapter Twenty Seven

Start from the beginning

I slowly nodded in understanding. "Okay. I'll see you..." 

"Later." he finished for me. 

I gave him a small smile before slipping out. A few people glanced at me curiously. I felt my face was flustered from the kiss. Also, my hair was a bit of a mess. I smoothed it over, walking briskly towards my locker. I grabbed out my books for my next two subjects slamming it shut. 

"Why are you grinning so broadly?" A voice asked beside me.

I leapt about two feet in the air, whirling around. Penny, a girl from my group, watched me in amusement. Her curly air was cascading down her back in ringlets. I loved curls. I used to have them when I was younger. Now, they were just more waves. 

"Um, I, er," I fumbled. Who knew if she was set up to spy? Oh Goodness... imagine that. Even my, well, not friends exactly, but 'group members' could possibly be in on it.  

So I lied. Well, not technically, but it still felt like it. 

"My best friend is coming home today." I said, grinning wider. "She's been in Hawaii." 

"Oh?" she asked, examining her nails, giving off the indication that she didn't really care about my answer.

If I hadn't been studying her so closely, I thought I would have missed the small flicker of surprise in her eyes. Yes, I definitely couldn't trust anyone. I needed to always be on guard. 

I was such a bad liar, but this wasn't so bad because it was actually true. She was coming home today. I couldn't wait! I had already planned to leave school at lunch to go to the airport. Luke was taking me in. 

(Of course). 

I hurried to class, leaving Penny there by herself. I know it was rude, but oh well. I found my usual seat. When Jason entered, I kept my eyes glued to my pencil case. If anyone was watching, I knew I would crumble at the sight of him. I'd probably grin stupidly or turn tomato red. 

I kept my attention on my pencil case until the teacher began the lesson. I forced my eyes to her. I didn't peek once. 

Really, I was quite proud of myself.

-----------------------------

When the bell signalled for lunch, I practically skipped to my locker, jamming my books in there. An excited grin found its way to my face. I almost ran all the way home.  

(Well, speed walked. Once I started walking fast, barely anyone could catch up to me. My speed walk was faster than Mel's jog). 

I wrenched the door open.  

"YOLO!" I cried. 

"What?" Dad asked, peeping in from the kitchen. 

I shrugged. "I don't know. People say it all the time and it's super annoying. But it was the first thing to come to my head." 

"What does it mean?" he asked, still confused. 

I always felt the need to call something out when I got home. It was sort of tradition nowadays. 

"I don't even know. You only live once or something like that." 

He frowned. I shrugged in response, going to my room. 

I put on some tight-fitting jeans and a nice black three-quarter length shirt. I ran my fingers through my hair, impressed it was still in natural waves, tumbling down to almost my elbows. I reapplied a tiny bit of make-up, and added some lip gloss.