Ready Steady Go!

Comincia dall'inizio

Lou followed behind the group, her black crocheted vest loose over a white long sleeve turtle neck stood out against the other girl's pale yellows and peach attire. The black and white mid length skirt, specially bought for the occasion, skimmed her hips and fell perfectly. Black kitten heels clicked closer to the outer edge of studio to a set mocked up for the next segment and Lou's senses tingled.

Nervousness surrounded the girls as they waited for the commercial break to be over and now their turn to be centre stage was being counted in....

'..5,4,3,2,1 you're on'

Lou shook her hands out and jiggled to relieve the last of the jitters, confidence befell her as she caught a glimpse of Paul's smile across from her.

"Welcome back. Now we are having a competition with Paul McCartney agreeing to judge it!!" Screams rang out with a few yeses and 'pick me's.... Dusty walked over to Paul then turned to introduce the four entrants "Please make the ladies welcome Melanie Cole, Bridget Merr, Louise and Penny Lancaster"

No one seemed to notice Louise had no last name and the show continued without a beat to spare "Now ladies you will be miming to Brenda Lee's Let's Jump the Broomstick I hope you all know that one!" Dusty grinned and let the audience cheers settle before saying "Let's go!!!!"

Lou loved the song and made haste to do the dance moves and hand movements, singing the words silently although a few escaped with sound. Trying all the while to not make any more eye contact than necessary with a very, very amused Paul, who grinned manically at Lou when the camera panned on her.

Richy and George stood by the small door across the room watching the show of girls trying to one up each other, Lou in her own world looked relaxed, seeming to feel the music effortlessly and to their bias minds she definitely was winning.

"John quick they're on" George grinned, gesturing wildly, beckoning John over from the drinks table set out with a bartenders dream of liquors and mixers, carrying a full glass he walked up and peered over Richy's noggin.

"Oh yeah, go Louie Louie"

"Do you think she'll win?" Rich piped up, trying to smack John's glass off his head. John had spilt a drop or two but to Rich it felt like it was a river, he'd stink too.

"Of course, you idiot" George rolled his eyes. "It's a setup remember. Lou could lay down and 'ave a kip and still win"

"Now that would be a laff" John grinned watching the girl he slept with daily, without anyone bending his elbow to do so, now frolic on stage under lights. No nobody coerced John into taking care of Lou's needs now she was taking care of his. "She'll think she's a bloody star now, it'll probably all go to her 'ead"

The music finished and two of the girls were so out of it they were still dancing about weirdly in silence. Paul did his lip thing as he watched the crazies, the lip thing Lou likened to an Elvis lip where Elvis was having his foot stomped on. He also was making horrid frown-lines on his forehead at the display, lucky it was the girls not him on camera at the moment, Lou thought grinning.

"So, Paul all the girls were great don't you think?!" Dusty thankfully had the camera on her, Paul was given a millisecond more to put a handsome innocent smile back on his face.

"Yea sure were. Now how do I pick?" Paul questioned tapping his lip. The rest of the audience calling out the numbers of their favourite. Lou was number four.

Dusty shushed the audience and expectantly turned back to Paul.

"Lou for the win!" John lifted his glass in toast and skulled the free booze. Turning away to set the empty glass on a conveniently placed ladder, he picked up his guitar, they would be next up.