Mona Lisa Smile

Everybody knew Louie, she was the boy's property almost, so as soon as it became apparent she wasn't moving off the pitted black and white tile look linoleum lav floor, the boys were dragged into the ladies to fetch her.

John carried her, George mouched along behind, 'a useless pile of bones' John had called him when he hadn't picked his sister up off the filthy floor. Paul made sure she didn't knock her head or feet into walls and Richy fetched water.

John lay her on the stained brown couch, lifting her head a little onto the only lumpy pillow in the place to keep her comfortable, crouching down watching her intently as she just tried waving them off.

Louise drank a little water and, then it was time. The boys had to go on stage so she lay, eyes closed, listening to the girls all yelling out with catcalls or random screams and the general calling out to the boys, offering themselves up, like dinner on a platter, not an ounce of dignity between them all.

And of course, she listened to their music, their heady sound pushed into her whole being whether she wanted it in her insides or not.

She was sat up and ready to leave when Paul pushed through the door with his bass guitar slung on his back. "Nu-ah, no you don't Lou, sit tight and we'll get you home shortly"

George, Richy and John saying much the same as they drank gallons of water to replenish the sweat pouring out of every pore of their bodies after the hot and humid conditions they played through on the Cavern stage. The cavern limestone 'dandruff' from the loud speakers vibrations  dusting their shoulders and, surely too, their hair.

Ringo had a car, which was pretty neat, although walking down the street lugging a drum kit was probably quite inconvenient, so it was a necessity. A drum kit certainly wasn't like a guitar which could be slung over one's shoulder.

Piling in the car with sweaty, slightly, stinky sweat drenched boys and instruments, the drum kit mostly in the boot but also in random spots throughout, Lou sat placidly balancing the cymbals on her lap. They took off speeding through the quiet streets, the night teetering on midnight,  the Harrison abode their destination; that was, until Lou called chicken to herself and asked Richy to take them to Strawberry Fields for a bit. She had to rapidly placate them though, by saying she felt much, much better.

********************

She stood on the crest of the hill facing the River Mersey. The boys all tiredly leaned chain smoking, bodies relaxed, pressed against Richy's car. Each wondering, in varying degrees, why they were here, what was wrong.

All silently watching over her, all worried for her.

And the lights of the city cast a thousand rays behind her. Their glow bright, lighting up the northern skies over their beloved Liverpool. Her silhouette was outlined, and hauntingly fragile, against the night skies.

George really, really tried... he was stood pleading she was to come home but she wouldn't budge then Paul had a go, using his undeniable charm, although, somehow tonight, it failed him.

Richy didn't want to push his new friendship so that left John.

Whatever ate her was like an anthill of termites ravaging her aura, her whole outlook was failing, dropping away in front of all of their eyes.

Using a Mona Lisa smile she stood stoic, when each of them had approached and she tried to radiated strength. Any way to hold herself back from the brink of an abyss of darkness and any way of keeping them from finding out all her ugly truths.

John sent the lads off into the night. He could walk her home, he was more than capable to keep her safe.