Sew Tired

"Two weeks Louise! it isn't right" Ma was ropeable, the boys had disappeared off to London with barely a word. George was in trouble because he shot through with nought said but the mother of the bride was also peeved for the bride to be.

"I know Ma, John explained to you, .... you and Pa said it was alright" Louise pricked her finger yet again, she never remembers the thimble. Her mother huffed and searched to the bottom of the wicker sewing basket and found the tiny red rose design china cup that would protect her finger. Placing it over Lou's finger with the pin prick of blood on the top. "Anyway, I need to do this without distractions, I only have a week"

This was an ivory dress, well bodice and skirt; Lou figured she might be able to reuse the pieces later if she wore the bits separately.

Always handy with needle and thread, thanks to her mum and gran, she was determined to do it all herself. "Do you think this is sitting straight?" Lou attempted to change the discussion from the band, they were busy recording and touring the south of England and hadn't called home in days.

"Move over, you haven't stretched it out luv"

"Thanks Ma... by the way Mister Bartlete said I could work as long as I wanted to, isn't that kind of him" Lou thought it a great coup but the wilting look her mother gave her told her it was anything but.

"You shouldn't be out to work in your condition"

"I'm pregnant not dying, Ma" Lou whined. Reaching for the kettle and setting out cups and saucers Lou leaned on the bench watching her mother fix her bodice. "Thank-you for letting me stay for the time being Ma, I want to work and help out as much as I can"

Finishing the sewing her mother stood and gently pushed Louise back into the chair "As long as that boy treats you right and loves you, I'm happy with the arrangement"

Louise looked in the basket for pins trying to hide her face, loves you, they were strangers in that regard and here she was tricking her family into believing in happily ever afters.

Even with the odd telephone call Lou could tell John was second guessing himself. George was the main person that would ring through then push John to take the phone when he was done.

However they were meant to get through this Lou had no idea, perhaps steeling herself to the fact this was a mirage and not real.

Lou had sorted out a list of inclusions for the deal and reread and reread the items set out therein, top to bottom. Dissecting them from both her and John's perspectives, carving up the maybes and tipping the scraps of emotions in the bin.

Back in town for a day or two of respite Lou had meet them at the White Star, giving John and Paul the page to review. It was quickly decided that John was bored with the whole thing, handing Paul the page John wandered away and it wasn't til the next morning he turned up, on the Harrison's doorstep, did Lou see him again.

Chewing his nail and appearing sloppily dressed- hair messed, same denim jeans and black leather jacket from the night before, John pushed in through the front door past Louise, not waiting for a 'may I help you' or 'Hello there how are you, John'.

"We need to talk, Louise" John ordered as he watched her toy with her collar, she was hesitant and worrying her lip, so John took the chat into his own hands, pushing her up the stairs awkwardly, she turned at the top to face him so he continued, walking her backwards into her room at the top of the stairs opposite Georges room.

"Parents in?"

"No"

"Brothers?"

"No" Lou had missed before but the rank smell of stale beer surrounded her now, the fresh morning air at the front door and the movement up the stairs must have washed it from her nostrils but now....

"Good"

"Why John?"

He wanted to know if she was ok......

If he was living with her and acting all married up in family situations and around George and Ringo. He wanted to know if she could kiss or was a wet fish.

To know if she fancied him too, he idly thought.

Pushing her against the wall, Lou realised his caper and wasn't going to take a somewhat drunk hungover fools folly, she slapped him hard.

"Fuck Lou, what the hell was that for" John stumbled back and sat on her bed, nursing his cheek and his hang over, head flopped down toward his knees, back hunched. Lou wanted to kick him out so badly but just couldn't. He chanced a look at her from underneath his fringe that was now growing longer and mentally slapped himself again for her, what a turd he was trying to force anything from her....

After all.... that was what many someones did to start all this.

"Sorry"

"Lay down you fool"

"What?!"

"Get in the bed, get some shut-eye" Louise somehow sensed John's need for coddling and ignored the last few minutes, he looked terribly worn down and tired, like he hadn't slept in a week.

"Oh, ok then" His shirt was off before she could blink and down went his pants making her gulp and turn hastily away.

John may be just a mate but he was still very much a male, her brothers didn't count. And he was right here in her tiny, now very claustrophobic, bedroom. She chewed her bottom lip waiting for him to say something, but he didn't say a peep. She finally turned back a few minutes after she heard the sheets rustle and settle.

His NHS glasses from his inside jacket pocket lay on her side table beside her diary and his previous pushy demeanor had disappeared along with that of his hangover laced one. Now he curled in a fetal position, silently facing toward the wall, the Elvis poster high above his head. Hesitantly she sat at his back, perched there on the slip of mattress beside him running, massaging, her fingers and hands over and over his shoulders, hypnotic and lulling, he fell asleep quickly.