Chapter 5

Asriel stepped out of the soggy land and into the cold land of Snowdin. It was so cold, but so delightful too.

He made his way into Snowdin town and into Grillby's, where Sans was expected.

"Heya. See the new cave yet, Azzy? Pretty cool, huh?"

Asriel sat on the stool next to Sans.

"Yes, it sure is. How's Papyrus doing?"

"Oh, he's over by the delta rune entrance, ready to greet the next human."

"What's that on your waist?"

"Oh, this? This is a walkie-talkie so Papyrus always knows where I am.

"SANS. SANS! PICK UP YOUR WALKIE-TALKIE!"

"Sup bro."

"I HAVE FOUND A SMALL WHITE DOG. IS THIS ANOTHER HUMAN?"

"No, bro. That's a dog."

"...WELL, IS THIS DOG OF ANY HELP?"

"I think you're barking up the wrong tree, pap."

"SANS, THIS ISN'T A TREE, IT'S A DOG."

"Okay, bro. See ya later." He put the walkie-talkie back down. "So, what were we talking about?"

"I don't know. When do you think the next child will fall?"

"Oh, they'll come soon. Very soon."

"Sans, you're not making any sense."

"Oh, uh, just a guess. Y'know, for hope."

"Oh, I see. How's the rest of the royal guard doing?"

"They're watering flowers and taking care of the elderly. Y'know, good stuff."

"Well, it's getting late. I better get back."

"Okay, take care."

"You too, Sans."

Asriel exited Grillby's, and figured he should talk to Papyrus while he was there.

He walked through the gate that Papyrus built and saw Papyrus patiently walking back and forth.

"Oh! Tiny Asgore! Great to see you again!"

Asriel smiled. "Papyrus, my name is Asriel. Please call me that."

"Whatever you say, tiny Asgore! What brings you to these parts of Snowdin?"

"Just thought I'd come and say hi. So, are you waiting for another human to fall?"

"Why, that is correct! Sans told me that another one would come soon... So I'm waiting for that day! What do you do during the day?"

Asriel flinched. "Y'know, life's pretty busy being king."

"Ah, I see. Well then, you better get your sleep then, tiny Asgore. Do you want me to take you there?"

"No, Papyrus. I can get home myself."

"Okay, tiny Asgore, if you say so. See you later!"

"Bye, Papyrus."

He made his way to the castle and went to bed. He laid awake thinking about Sans and the next human to fall.

When will it come?

He rolled over and looked at the sparkles of the roof of the cave, imagining stars...

Maybe, just maybe.