Burn in Water, Drown in Fire ~38~ Right Thru Me

Depuis le début

I smiled at her apology because she thought they were bugging me or maybe grilling me. I just played along.

“Ready to go?” I asked her. She sighed once and then nodded. I took her back pack in one hand and then grabbed her waist with the other only to pull her closer to me and kiss her cheek before departing.

“Can I ask you something?” Angel inquired. I raised our combined hands and kissed her fingers.

“Anything,” I allowed.

“Why exactly do I feel like I’m about to go running while you look like some model?” she asked nervously.

“Because you’re wearing track pants,” I answered, bluntly. She gave me a look.

“Seriously?”

“Seriously,” I mocked. She lightly hit my shoulder and I laughed.

“Because I wanted you to wear my clothes and your favorite shirt,” I shrugged. And because I wanted to prove to you and tell you that you looked gorgeous, no matter what you wore, but of course I won’t tell you that.

“While you’re all dressed up?”

I shrugged once more.

“Why should you have to dress up with me? You’re not the one graduating—I’m hardly the one graduating. I just have all my credits,” I started. “And plus, Vanessa made me promise I would.”

“Mh-hmm…” she hummed. I scoffed playfully.

“Are you doubting me?” I asked as if offended.

“Maybe,” she answered, but with the corner of my eye, I could tell that she was hiding her grin the best she could…which wasn’t good enough because I could detect it. “Just a little bit.”

“And why’s that?”

“Cuz you’re Zac Tyler,” she said as if I was some action movie character that deserved a flashy title. “You look all hot and sophisticated for your last day of high school…”

“And?” I asked.

“And then there’s me…the confused sidekick slacking off as if you leaving means absolutely nothing,” she finished.

“Well it shouldn’t,” I said, slightly frowning. She sighed and then slouched back into the seat. “What?”

“Nothing,” she lied. Fine. “So where are we going?”

“Out,” I answered. “But not for long…”

“Why’s that?” she asked as if she want a longer time with me.

“My flight leaves at eleven,” I informed, pushing the hair out of my face.

“Oh…”

Of all this time, I avoided talking about leaving. I knew that she liked me, but I also knew that she’d forget about me once I was gone. She didn’t even mention it. By her ‘oh’, she muttered “You were serious…” under her breath as if she didn’t believe me in the first place. It wasn’t a conversation I wanted with her right now, so I wouldn’t make it one.

“We’re going to the beach,” I said.

“The beach?” she asked.

“The beach,” I assured with a grin.

(Angel’s POV)

“Don’t,” I told him.

“Stop being a wimp,” Zac scoffed towards me as our hands were the only thing pulling him back from stepping foot into the sea. He had drove me an hour out of town to swim at the coast.