Pebbles

Waking up to an empty bed would've worried me a couple years ago, however the almost safety of Alexandria and the ever present metal barrier between us and the desolate world beyond seemed to have dampened my fears of the undead, some days I wake up wondering if it was all real at all. Although the shear volume of guns residents, normal people... People with office jobs or builders, own immediately sweeps any hope that this may in fact be a dream.

I pull on my boots that lay in a pile beside our bedroom door and creep to the room across from ours. He'd have usually tunnelled into our sheets by now so I was hoping beyond hope that maybe he'd learnt to stay in his own bed or just sit and play with the Lego Daryl had brought back a couple months ago. But no one was there, the door that was usually open an inch was now gaping, taunting me... Saying I was too late.

By now the familiar butterflies were burning inside my gut and irrational ideas clouded my mind, making it impossible for any sense of logic to reason back.

"Daddy! Show me again!" The small laugh swung at me like a hook and suddenly I was on the other side of the room, breathing condensation onto the already smeared window. Below sat my son, staring intently at Glenn's hands as my husband searched the pebbled pond bank for something. I let out a sigh, one of relief and love and tapped gently on my sons window managing to gain the attention of my beloved Glenn, he let his hand grasp a small round stone before holding up so both me and Hershey could see, before releasing it across the pond. Hershey jumped and cheered as the stone skidded across the murky surface and I too clapped when Glenn looked back to the window. His mouth carefully mouthed "I love you" before I wrote the exact same thing in the condensation on the smudged glass before me.

........

Hey!
So I'm back with this awful Drabble type thing and yes it was in the PoV of Maggie. I know it isn't my best work by any means but at least I posted something!

Please leave comments below of what you thought and like as well!

And yes my exams have finished finally and I got my results and I'm pleased to say that I'm very happy!

Thanks for reading! 💚💚